Which one of these two is better?
the Digitech Grunge distortion pedal or Digitech Hot Head distortion pedal?
Thanks.
Neither of them are very good. What kind of sound are you going for? If you don't need all the gain that the grunge pedal has a boss ds-1 sounds pretty similar for a bit cheaper I think.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by sirgaratis
Which one of these two is better?
the Digitech Grunge distortion pedal or Digitech Hot Head distortion pedal?
Thanks.

Boss DS
I've used it, but I have a hard time recommending it. For the 40 bucks it's not awful, but it's by no means a great pedal. I used it mainly as a boost until I had the money for a proper overdrive. Again, what kind of sounds are you trying to get? Knowing what kind of amp you're using will also help us help you.
Im going for something that works for classic rock, hard rock, punk, some old metal, and alternative.
What kind of amp? If your amp can't handle those sound then maybe a new amp would be a wiser decision then throwing cheap pedals at it that won't make it sound any better.
im going to buy a new amp
but i need some advice because i probably am going to get it from a pawn-shop
if a used one costs about $100-$150, how much would that be new?
probably like 300 bucks. What kind of amp are you looking at? Are you just playing in your bedroom or what?
yeah for now just in like my bedroom im not in a band
marshall's a pretty good brand, right?
Their higher end amps are alright though I'm not a big fan, but their lower end stuff is crap, specifically the MG series and to a lesser degree the avt series.

How much money do you have or are willing to spend?
You're gonna be pretty limited. A vox DA5 is an alright amp as well as a roland microcube. They're both about 130 new. You might be able to find some of their bigger brothers used within your budget.
i think kurt cobain used the DS-1 on Nevermind. IMO, digitech sucks balls and tone. get a Boss or an MXR distortion, liekt eh Dist+ or the Dist III
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
This thread is making me queezy. TS cannot be a very good musician or artist if he wants to know which is "better". I wish people would define "better" once in a while, because THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE ANSWER to this thread, and the guy should stick his neck out, buy a random distortion pedal and MAKE WHAT HE CAN out of it, instead of wanting all his decisions made for him.

Just a thought.
^Chill the **** out, there's nothing wrong with asking for advice.

To TS: I'd put all your cash towards an amp if I were you. A Roland Cube of some sort would get metal tones just fine without a pedal.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I would say that you'd probably be better off looking for a Crate V 18 amp. They're all tube and Musician'sFriend sells them for $150 new. One of them should be able to handle all of the genres you listed pretty well on its own.
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Quote by Gabriel Tanaka
I would say that you'd probably be better off looking for a Crate V 18 amp. They're all tube and Musician'sFriend sells them for $150 new. One of them should be able to handle all of the genres you listed pretty well on its own.

Erm, no it cant?

I cranked a V18 and it could NOT do old metal on it's own. Even classic rock was a stretch.

Maybe with an OD or distortion pedal in front though.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
^Chill the **** out, there's nothing wrong with asking for advice.

But it has to be done sensibly. Distortion pedals vary wildly in tone, level of distortion etc, even down to construction, building materials, electrical consumption etc etc etc...

TS never said wta music he played, what his existing equipment is etc...

So why don't I answer his question purely on an aesthetic basis?

Digitech hot head looks a lot better, its one sexy ****er, I would go with it every time.
Quote by Meddled
But it has to be done sensibly. Distortion pedals vary wildly in tone, level of distortion etc, even down to construction, building materials, electrical consumption etc etc etc...

TS never said wta music he played, what his existing equipment is etc...

So why don't I answer his question purely on an aesthetic basis?

Digitech hot head looks a lot better, its one sexy ****er, I would go with it every time.

well they're essentially the same pedal, but grunge has more distortion, thats it,
saying that would've saved you alot of douchery
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by dudetheman
Erm, no it cant?

I cranked a V18 and it could NOT do old metal on it's own. Even classic rock was a stretch.

Maybe with an OD or distortion pedal in front though.

Since yes it can indeed do some older style metal on its own, I suppose I need to prove it to you. This guy's V18 sounds quite good for metal; maybe there was something wrong with the one you tried. I hope this isn't offensive or anything and yes you're right about an od pedal making it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEjndwdtzrw
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
So, would the hot-head be better for playing more styles?
because what ive listened to of the grunge it mostly sounds like crap like slipknot..
but what I listened to of the hot head sounded much nicer, and more varied
Also, the V18 is out of stock on Guitar Center, any clue if it is a common amp at pawn-shops?
Last edited by sirgaratis at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by sirgaratis
So, would the hot-head be better for playing more styles?
because what ive listened to of the grunge it mostly sounds like crap like slipknot..
but what I listened to of the hot head sounded much nicer, and more varied

well i liked the grunge better when i got my hothead, but once you tweak the settings enough you can get some nice classic rock and early metal tones, but your not gonna get really heavy riffs & metal as easily as with a grunge
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by sirgaratis
does anybody know anything about the digitech hot rod pedal?

is one of there morphseries things isnt it?
if so, it'll have seven different pedal tones in it, basically all similar pedals from different companies,
ike the metal version of that has the death metal, metal zone, metal muff...Etc.
i think the hotrod has
DS-1
hothead
fuzzface
proco rat
and after that idk, probly a big muff and some other stuff
Quote by guitardude34875