Ok so I currently own a Marshall MG250DFX. As with most of the MG series, it sounds like ****. I play a Tokai Les Paul copy, it sounds okay live through the MG when the amp is turned up pretty loud but this amp, even with a Gibson Les Paul Studio through it sounds balls when it's recorded.

I'm looking at replacing the MG with a Marshall valve combo (something that will sound good in the studio and is loud enough to play with live) and I'm looking to spend around £500, £600 at the most.

I was thinking maybe the DSL 401 or a second hand Vintage Modern combo?

Any ideas?
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
What sort of styles do you play? Me thinks an Orange Rock 30 is right up your street if it's classic rock.
marshall dsl series...jcm800 and jcm900 although the 900 is more modern and gainy

i have one so i know
Quote by AdamDK
What sort of styles do you play? Me thinks an Orange Rock 30 is right up your street if it's classic rock.

Yeah, mainly GNR, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zep etc.
But I'm still looking for versatility - something my MG lacks...
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
i think you should try to get a used JCM800 combo - they go for around £400 on ebay.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
all of the above...i'd steer clear of the Vintage Modern though....
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
+1 to the used JCM combo. It is perfect for you. But if you don't want to go used, I'd reccommend an Orange Rocker 30. They'll both do you wonders.