Ok so i can get both the Laney and the Bugera head for roughly the same price, 500 euros.

I play mostly metalcore, and just metal in general. I'm looking for a pretty brutal tone though, think As I Lay Dying, Darkest Hour and As blood runs black. This tone would be rougly what I'm trying to achieve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjh-m_GV7v4
I know this band uses 6505+, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily would want the Bugera.
The head would be used with a 4x12 cab with celestions, and for gigging only. I also don't really care about the cleans.

So which one of these 2 heads would be the best choice?

For now, I am slightly leaning towards to Laney, because I'm not to keen on some of the reliability issues I've heard with the Bugera. I will also be ordering online, so warranty issues would really be a hassle.

I am open to other suggestions also, BUT: I will not go used, because most used amps go way overpriced here in Europe, + there aren't really that many good used heads for sale. I also WON'T get a combo. And please if you suggest anything else, bear in mind that the most I'm willing to pay is 600 euros, which is around 900 dollars, but some amps that would cost 900 dollars in the US, end up costing around 900 euros here in Europe, Like ENGLs and others.
Last edited by fearo at Aug 24, 2008,
The laney is a very bright voiced amp, as for the Bugera...as its modelled after the 5150, I guess it'll be voiced accordingly, which is pretty dark.
i have had the Laney GH100L head. i still own it, but my brothers guitar player has been using it for the past 2 years. its a great amp. can get pretty saturated cranked. it is a single channel amp i must say and has EL34 tubes in it. as the Bugeras come with 6L6 tubes or EL34s depending on what amp you are looking at.

i have the 6262. and it shreds for metal. especailly for the bands you listed

Both are great amps. the Bugera 6262 would have a bit more gain then the laney does.

have you tried either one before?
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
I know the Laney comes with EL34's, but I would probably switch them out for 6L6's. No I haven't tried either one, and I can't try them, as no store anywhere near me carries them.

Do you think the Laney could get brutal enough for what I'm trying to achieve? Or would I be best to get the Bugera.
well i know for a fact that the Bugeras can get those tones with no problem.
i havent tried my Gh100L head with the 6L6 tube swap, but the last time i had used the amp i put a high gain full retube kit in it with the EL34s and it can get pretty high gain.
try searching for a few Laney amp clips on like You Tube or somthing. i mean i can say it would be good to go with the Bugera or the laney, but its all what sounds better to you..you know?
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Yeah I know what you're saying. I think I like the Laney's tone a little more than the Bugera, but the problem is, I haven't really found any clips of the Laney playing some brutal metal.
I'd go for the Laney just because it won't break down in 2 weeks.

The Laney can do the br00talz but to really get down and dirty, get a noise gate and throw in some 6L6s in it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd go for the Laney just because it won't break down in 2 weeks.

The Laney can do the br00talz but to really get down and dirty, get a noise gate and throw in some 6L6s in it.

yeah and maybe a OD pedal in there to tighten the tone and add some boost to it
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate