Im considering getting the randall rm rack preamp and using an existing amp for its preamp, or putting it through my PA (i have a mackie 2k rig with bassbins so it sounds insane).

How much does the poweramp affect the tone?!?
In a regular amp a great deal I'd imagine. In your case I'd think it would work well to run a preamp like the RM through your PA.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
A lot, I imagine it's more than the preamp.

I'd think the preamp would have more affect since that's where all the tone shaping circuitry is. The poweramp is meant to drive the speakers, though it does play a part in the amps sound.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gpderek09
signal clipping is "distortion," but depending on what exactly is doing the clipping is where the difference is. in a tube amp, pre-amp distortion is more metal sounding, a lot more aggressive, ect. but power amp clipping in a tube amp is smoother, more gradual and is more bluesy/ classic rock sounding. but just because an amp is designed to create most of it's gain in the pre-amp, doesn't mean that a tube power amp is pointless. it still has a huge effect on tone.

solid state pre-amp signal clipping is pretty thin, i think, but still smoother than a solid state power amp.

So yes, you could use the PA, but I'd test it out first to see whether or not it sounds too thin or unpleasant. You could always try to dial out that thinness in the preamp until you can afford a good power amp for your preamp though. It'll be tough, and you might not even be able to do it, but it's worth a try.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by Shinozoku
So yes, you could use the PA, but I'd test it out first to see whether or not it sounds too thin or unpleasant. You could always try to dial out that thinness in the preamp until you can afford a good power amp for your preamp though. It'll be tough, and you might not even be able to do it, but it's worth a try.

ive ran preamps through it before it sounds great. I can afford a power amp but i would rather not buy too much gear anymore. i have to get rid of 3 amps and like 5 guitars just too much stuff.