Recently my dad gave me a guitar he bought when he was a sophomore in high school. A 1957 Gibson Melody Maker. It is in awesome shape and sounds just as good as it looks. This is however the first vintage electric I have ever owned. Is there anything I should know about taking care of it? My dad hasn't played since I was a kid so this guitar has just been sitting. I put new strings on it and play it quite often. Which is why I am asking about the care and feeding of this old baby. I welcome any helpful hints. thanks!
Change out the strings if you haven't already and make sure to clean the fretboard as well.
Just look after it as you would any other guitar. They are designed to be played and should last you a lifetime. Carl Barat of The Libertines has been gigging heavily with his for 5-6 years and it's still fine...and that's gigging almost everyday and giving it some abuse on stage.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
photos!
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
it's probably nitro lacquer. be careful if you use any polish on it that it won't react with the nitro, and also check any guitar stand you might be using with it that it won't react with the nitro... if it does, you could put a cloth handkerchief or something over the contact points...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pics or it didn't happen!!!!
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Pictures?

but yeah, take care of it like any other guitar
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
you could send it to me...

ill take good care of it. or just show me some pics. thatll last me for a while
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
^ very well spotted.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ownd
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Hold on to that bad boy, don' t sell it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
Quote by stratdud39
melody makers came out in 1959...........

Could be a flaw with the serial numbering, a mistake, or just a sketch in his dads memory. OR he could be lieing. In true ug form PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Serial number aswell please
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
This appeals to my interests. Pictures, sir.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
seeing as he just joined today and sais its a 57. i call shens unless photographical evidence is given that wasnt pulled from google...
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
.....perhaps it's a Les Paul Jr?

Maybe it's just a rare thing, like a '58 Goldtop or a 1960 SG.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Normally i wouldnt ask for proof, but a real 57 gibson is worth crazy money, like a small house
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Notice how he has only ever made 1 post...
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
hmmm, dont quite believe him. but if he is fo' realz, then he should make sure to wrap the rubber on his guitar stand with gauze, so it doesnt damage the finish...

Even though the guitar is a piece of crap thats worth less than nothing and he should send it to me right away so I can save him the trouble of throwing it in the garbage.

>.>
<.<
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Tits or GTFO.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

It came out like 2 weeks ago

We all saw it

We all pointed and laughed

We all secretly wished we could afford it