Well i started playing guitar in february 2008 and im not very fast =S im trying to get faster and better but i don't feel im getting any better. Well the thing is that fastest solo i can play is solo+wahwah of sweet child o mine o.o i know i know i suck.

I started playing because i saw my brother watching Tender Surrender video in youtube and i was like damn i wish i could play like that. So basically can you tell me what things to do to improve my speed. Oh i forgot, what should i practice if i want to learn cliffs of dover?
Thank you for your help
edit: by the way i know cliffs of dover is going to take me years =)
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Aug 24, 2008,
Practice every day. Being able to play fast is not what matters. Speed always ends up coming with smoothness. The important part is to be able to play your notes evenly in the beat. Rhythm and timing is much more important than speed.
practice on dexterity not on speed, do the notes slowly... then if your hands get used to the proper placing and moves, speed will only be an additional.

remember not to wet your hands after practice... or it will only get worst.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Well i started playing guitar in february 2008 and im not very fast =S im trying to get faster and better but i don't feel im getting any better. Well the thing is that fastest solo i can play is solo+wahwah of sweet child o mine o.o i know i know i suck.

I started playing because i saw my brother watching Tender Surrender video in youtube and i was like damn i wish i could play like that. So basically can you tell me what things to do to improve my speed. Oh i forgot, what should i practice if i want to learn cliffs of dover?
Thank you for your help
edit: by the way i know cliffs of dover is going to take me years =)

Better =/= faster

Don't worry about speed, that happens very gradually over time. Instead concentrate on playing cleanly and accurately and don't over-stretch yourself - there's nothing to be gained from spending weeks or months trying to play something that's way ahead of you. Set yourself realistic short-term goals and don't be fooled into thinking that evertything you learn has to be "harder" than the last thing, it doesn't work that way. You get benefit from everything new you learn no matter how easy or difficult you tink it is. Don't neglect the basics either, you have to walk before you can run so make sure stuff like your basic picking technique, timing and rhythm are in order before worrying about flash stuff like tapping and pinch harmonics...those aren't important techniques, they're fun but you need to be able to play a bit before you're able to use them in any way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Better =/= faster

Don't worry about speed, that happens very gradually over time. Instead concentrate on playing cleanly and accurately and don't over-stretch yourself - there's nothing to be gained from spending weeks or months trying to play something that's way ahead of you. Set yourself realistic short-term goals and don't be fooled into thinking that evertything you learn has to be "harder" than the last thing, it doesn't work that way. You get benefit from everything new you learn no matter how easy or difficult you tink it is. Don't neglect the basics either, you have to walk before you can run so make sure stuff like your basic picking technique, timing and rhythm are in order before worrying about flash stuff like tapping and pinch harmonics...those aren't important techniques, they're fun but you need to be able to play a bit before you're able to use them in any way.

thank you very much, you're completely right. i suck tapping (the best i can do is outro of one) lol but im pretty good with squeelies. The thing is for example i want to learn a song, i look for the tabs and BOOM! holy sweep picking and i'm getting very frustated because everytime i try to play a song it is too hard or too easy =S any suggestions
Find a thread in here by freepower and read his first lesson on practice technique in his sig you need to read that.