Hi,

Ok I have this setup:

Peavey Valveking 112, INPUT1 into the OUTPUT L/MONO of my PODxt Live, then the INPUT of my PODxt Live to my guitar.

In my guitar I have EMG 81/85's

Basically whats happening is that when im playing my custom tones they are usually really high in gain and crunchy, but ever since today somethings not right, they seem really low gain and no crunch, almost clean as if its cutting out.

At first I thought it was the cables so I bought news ones, still doing it.
Then I thought it could be the battery in the EMG, changed it and its still doing the same.

Now all that leaves to my knowledge is that the valves on the amp could be going or theres a setting or something on my PODxt that ive mi**** and changed.

Could someone please tell me:

1) Is my setup all right?
2) How can I tell if it is the valves that are blown? and are they easy to fit myself?
3) If its the settings on the pod like Output etc, what should I be set on?

All help is really appreciated and hopefully this topic is alot easier to understand...

I have AUTO-EMAIL on so I will reply almost instantly as im missing shredding on the guitar lol..

Thanks,

Rowan

:
All seems ok, have you tried connecting headphones to the output of the pod so that you can see if there's a problem with that half of the signal chain?
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

No I dont have headphones..

What I was thinking about is, if I download that thing "podxt monitor" so I can play it via my speakers on pc and it sounds fine, then we know its the AMP..... is that correct?

Also, where do i download that podxtmonitor thing?
maybe you're cable isnt in all the way into your guitar.
happens to me all the time kuz the stereo output jack has two levels of click-age and sometimes you think it's in when it clicks once.
Quote by rayunit
maybe you're cable isnt in all the way into your guitar.
happens to me all the time kuz the stereo output jack has two levels of click-age and sometimes you think it's in when it clicks once.

that's a good point, i've had problems with my emg pickups doing that.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

Just tried that there m8, unfortuantly not the problem lol...

Does anyone have a really crunchy high gain PODxt tone I can load jst to make sure its not my tones that have been screwed with lol.

Also I checked the output setting and its on STUDIO.
OK I tried there anywhere I seen like GAIN turning it up and im starting to get gain, but whats really happening is like the tone will last like 1 second then stop... so its not got that long last about it... Could it be the cables I bought stop this:

http://www.guitar.co.uk/accessories/leads/531-planet_waves_pwg20_mono_custom_series_instrument_cable?page=3

And a cheaper version but still gold plated very small length for pod to amp.
I don't think the cable is a problem (as long as it's instrument cable, and not speaker cable) unless it's broken.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Im playing around with it and im getting it better but its almost like theres no sustain... after you strike a note it disappears almost after a 1-2seconds rather than holding that gain...

What could I turn up to try fix this?
Is there something wrong with your guitar? Have you tried plugging straight into the amp? Maybe try a different guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I guess if you've got a noise gate setting on there set really high it'll kill your sustain. How does the amp sound if you aren't using the pod and plugged straight into tha amp? surely that'll decided whether it's the pod's fault.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Ok I think we've hit a breakthrough...

I plugged in my Ibanez and it sounds alot better... So its the guitar I think.

Now its gonna either be 2 things:

1) When ive had the EMG's customly put into my guitar some of the soldering is went and thats why it sounds weak..

2) I did have Duracell Alkaline 9V in for a while, then I bought a Panasonic Zinc 9V today but they didnt sound any better, could it the Panasonic is bad since its Zinc and the Duracell was good but just has run out since ive had it in there for months?
I use really cheap zinc batteries with my emg's without problems relating to that, it sound's too me like dodgy wiring. Does it get any better if you move the volume knob around a bit to a different position?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Hmm...

Not really no, put Schecter in, clean tone, put ibanez in, high gain tone.

Its definetly the guitar... if I look at the soldering parts what would show a bad connection , it completely off or something else?
sorry i meant the volume knob on the guitar, because it could be that the pot has gone bad. It doesn't sound as if there'll be much visually wrong with the wiring since you would be unlikely to get a sound at all if it was that obvious. Generally dull (non-shiny) looking solder joints are bad, but it could well be the pot.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Aug 24, 2008,
Ok so basicaly if there was even 1 wire broke I would get no sound at all.

So you think it could be the POT?

What is that I should look at? Sorry ive never done this so gimmi the IDIOTS GUIDE lol.
Could it be that the pots are the wrong kind? You have to use different pots with active pickups I think.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Well its been working perfect for months, and all of a sudden its stopped...

So im sure they were right yeh.
True. Might be a bad solder joint I guess.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Ok I got a new Duracell there and tried it, still no EMG tone.

My m8 who does soldering is looking at it just now and so far he cant see any broken solder points.

What could be the cause? Its definetly the pickups.
Ok I got a new Duracell there and tried it, still no EMG tone.

My m8 who does soldering is looking at it just now and so far he cant see any broken solder points.

What could be the cause? Its definetly the pickups.

Also, when we touch the wiring near the power bit it makes a loud humming as if the EMG are starting to work...
OK WE FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!

We tried the old lead with the Schecter, worked fine... Ibanez... worked fine..

We tried new lead with Ibanez, worked fine, but Schecter didnt...

To get the new lead to work on schecter we had to touch 2 metal connector parts on the jack of the guitar to get it to sound like metalish.

Why would the new gold plated one not work right in the schecter but the Ibanez does...

???????????
I had a similar sounding problem with my les paul.

Basically what happened was that the volume pot had rotated slightly and one of the contacts was touching the shielded paint in the cavity, which was shorting it out.

Worth a check, i guess.
Umm, is the new guitar cable stereo? That might be a problem, I think, not 100% sure.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This is the new cable I got:

http://www.guitar.co.uk/accessories/leads/531-planet_waves_pwg20_mono_custom_series_instrument_cable?page=3

I think Brian you have a point, cause it was like we had to basically touch 2 metal bits then the EMG's would work, but without the two bits touching nothing worked.

How could I sort this? Is it safe to just put like tinfoil or a bit of metal soldering iron joining the two or could that blow it all even though its working?