So for the past few months I've been trying to get the hang of slide guitar. Everytime I try to use the slide every other string before it makes a sliding noise too. So i guess what my question is is how do you use the thing? I went to an Allman Bros/Ratdog Concert last night and saw Derek Trucks and it's amazing how he does it. But yeah, do I have to hold the slide at an angle or something?
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Put your other fingers behing the slide to mute the other strings.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
use you picking hand to try to mute the strings youre not playing.

ive been trying to learn this too. i think ug has some video lessons on it. good luck!
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
Okay thanks for the help. I think your right by sayin its easier to do without a pick.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
I've always played slide with a pick...... most people don't, Duane didn't and Derek doesn't, but it's all a matter of preference.

Anyway, Duane had the guitar tilted at a certain angle to make it play easier. If you watch a video of him playing (good luck finding one....) you can see how. He also muted the strings behind the slide with his middle and index fingers, wearing the slide on his ring finger.

Also, you might want to get the action raised so the slide doesn't cause fret buzz. Try and find a good balance where you can play slide cleanly but still play fretted notes.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
also, use flatwound strings instead of normal roundwound, and use open tunings if you're having trouble with chords when using a slide
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!