ok, so i have a used gibson les paul standard coming in the mail soon and im really wanting an overdrive pedal. but which one?
i play a marshall jtm-30 (ive heard its pretty much a jcm900) and i have a mxr distortion+ ive never been to happy with, and im also anting to buy a strat sometime soon, so im thinking, what are some good overdrive pedals that would be great for both a strat and les paul with a marshall amp for classic rock, up to classic metal tones? i was thinking maybe something along the lines of a maxon tubescreamer or fulltone fulldrive 2 (which ive heard is like a tubescreamer) since im hoping for more SRV type tones when i get a strat, but i also have heard great things about the fulltone ocd, fulltone distorion pro, and others.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

fulltone fulldrive sounds really good. try it out
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
boss blues driver bd-2 sounds great
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
The Fulltone is an admirable unit, a lot more organic sounding than most overdrives on the market. Also consider the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive for it's versatility (808 Tube Screamer clone that blends with a clean boost). Another option is the Hermida ZenDrive which is possibly the smoothest sounding OD on the planet, but at a cost: you either sit on a waiting list for months or pay close to twice the list price for a used one.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
i use a ts9 tubescreamer with both my strat and my les paul through my peavey bandit 112 and it would work good for classic rock but it wouldnt be as good if you would be using it for metal
Quote by strat1517
i use a ts9 tubescreamer with both my strat and my les paul through my peavey bandit 112 and it would work good for classic rock but it wouldnt be as good if you would be using it for metal

thats because your using a peavey bandit, in combination with a good amp it pushes it into metal territory
SRV used Ibanez tubescreamers (TS-9, TS-808, TS-10)
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
If you're looking for SRV tone I would say Ibanez tubescreamer. You can get nice bluesy tones out of it plus use as a boost with the marshall overdrive to get you a lot of gain.
Something that isn't quite common knowledge is that SRV commonly used Dumble Steel String Slinger amplifiers for many of his recordings (IIRC, everything on his first album was recorded with one). Basically the Tube Screamers were used to add some additional grit to a very smooth sounding amp. Since you have a much grittier sounding amp it would make sense to invest in a smoother OD to emulate his tone, hence my recommendation for the ZenDrive earlier.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I have a Visual Sound Double Trouble, and it works nicely for an SRV sound, I'd be disappointed if it didn't, because that's what it's designed for.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.