Hi,

Ok im learning guitar and im getting there, but everytime I come to one of the fast little bits of songs or solo's I dunno how you go about it, is it hammer-ons, pull-offs, alternative picking etc... I see people doing it and it looks soo easy for them but I really dont know how to do it.

Its when you work your way across the strings, heres an example in BFMV - Take It Out On Me Solo:

Solo 3 :

D|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
F|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-----------------------------12-14-16----------12-14-16--12-14-16--|
G|----------12-14-15--12-14-15----------12-14-15---------------------|
D|-12-14-15----------------------------------------------------------|

A|--------------------------------------14-15-17----------14-15-17---|
F|-12-14-16----------12-14-16--12-14-16----------12-14-16------------|
C|----------12-14-16-------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

D|----------14-15-17b--17--15--14------------------|
A|-14-15-17------------------------17~~~~~~~~~~~~--|
F|-------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------|

How do you go about doing this type of stuff... does anyone have any tutorials I can look at to help me learn this?

Thanks,

Rowan
It would probly work best with alternate picking. Just break the solo down into little peices and learn them one by one. Once youve mastered one, move on to the next. Eventually you will know them all and will be able to put them all together. Good Luck!
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
Start out slow, then speed up. And also, use tags around tabs or it messes up the format and everything gets out of line.

You should be using a metronome and hammer-ons for stuff like this- hit the 1st note on a beat, then move through one trio of notes ending on the next beat. Well, that's how I'd do it.
so looking at tht tab from an alternative sense its really just like:

down - up - down, down - up - down, down - up - down..

After you hit the last note you just kind of glide onto the next one with that double down?
just play it. it doesnt need to mark you when to do alternate picking (not alternative) or sweep picking or any other stuff. you just think that by yourself. hear the solo and try to compare note by note what you are doing. the only thing that tabbers mark is when there is a natural or pich harmonic or a hammer-on/pull-off
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
So in the end try alternative picking, and hammeroffs and see what is more comfortable?

Do you have any video exercises.