right now my distortion is a digitech hothead, which is okay, but i could really use something heavier,
right now im looking at a Boss DS-1 or a Digitech deathmetal,
im kind of hesitant to go digitech again, and i noticed the deathmetal doesnt have a gain control
just volume, high, low & mid
i play older metal, from sabbath to early metallica, and alot of blues stuff, like clapton & SRV
i know neither of the ones im looking at now are gonna do blues well, but ill address that later with a tubescreamer or badmonkey
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
DS-1 is pretty much the same thing and the deathmetal just plain sucks. What kind of amp do you have?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by TheBax
What amp do you have now?

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
how much money are you lookin to spend?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
may i be the first to say...

new amp?

EDIT: darn you aznmetalhead93!!!!
O O

___
Quote by ShredGod George
the ****box known as the fender frontman 15G

Then a pedal won't make it any more better.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Hmm, you might be better off saving up for a new amp. If you're set on a new distortion pedal then I would try as many as you can and see which one you like best.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
and also, if you're totally determined to get a distortion pedal... like Kevin said, go try a lot of them out, but try to play them on the same amp you have, because different amps make different sounds.
O O

___
do not, i repeat, DO NOT BUY THE DIGITECH DEATHMETAL. it is the singel worst sounding pedal i have ever heard. they brag about how they "cranked the gain knob to eleven and ripped it off". thats not a good thing!!! the pedal sounds terrible. you can't adjust the gain, muddies up yer tone, all aroung bad pedal. look into an MXR Distortion+ or MXR Distortion III. Guitar World reviewed the Dist III and could not find one thing wrong with it and neither could I (but i'm sure someone on UG will).
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
if you lookin to getting a new amp try out the vox valvetronix amps, they have a good sound and can get most of what your lookin for in distortions as far as blusey rock and some metal
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
if i get a new amp it'll be in december, because thats when my birthday & christmas are,
and,
how are the Marshall pedals?i never see anyone talk about them
Quote by guitardude34875
I don't think you'll get a satisfying result with any pedal with your current amp. You're basically polishing a turd.
I like my DS-1, its a simple distortion pedal though I found for it to really shine you need good pickups and especially a good amp. I also found it sounds better with a lower output pickup but thats just my ears, personal opinion there. I'd save up for a better amp like stated, which you will do anyways right?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
. I'd save up for a better amp like stated, which you will do anyways right?

yes, probably a small tube amp like a blackheart or epiphone,or maybe a
fender G-dec,
i just need something to practice and to be able to keep up with an enthusiastic drummer durig jam sessions
Quote by guitardude34875
I'd stay away from a G-Dec, the other two sound like good bets though I'm not a fan of either. Look into some used gear too, on Craigslist or something or in classified ads. Always some great deals going around and better prices then buying new.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
A Crate Palomino v32 should do the trick, or maybe even a v16. You'll have to look a bit though, since they're discontinued.
Quote by Ghold125
going from one cheap distortion pedal to another won't improve anything

itll give me better distortion
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George

Not necessarily...

Going from the tolerable distortion of the Frontman to the very similar distortion, but warmer of the DS-1 isn't going to produce much desirable results.

I hate to sound cliche, but you really do need to focus on getting a better amp. And if you will be playing with a drummer, you're looking at least 20-25W tube for your future gift. You almost NEED to go used to find anything that will keep up and keep your cleans (if you need them).
the drummer has epiphone firefly 30's at his house where we jam. but i dont really like them
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
the drummer has epiphone firefly 30's at his house where we jam. but i dont really like them

Of course the Firefly isn't going to be well liked when playing with a drummer...
The Firefly is 30w SS, not 30w tube. Odds are it will sound bad when turned up to a point where you could hear it.

It's a completely different level.
Quote by ShredGod George

no, it won't. The amp is your tone bottleneck, it doesn't really matter what you stick in front of it, you can only polish a turd so much...doesn't change the fact that it's a turd though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dudey5691
Of course the Firefly isn't going to be well liked when playing with a drummer...
The Firefly is 30w SS, not 30w tube. Odds are it will sound bad when turned up to a point where you could hear it.

It's a completely different level.

that and there are two of them and two guitarists & the other guy always sits next to them and turns himself up higher than me
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
that and there are two of them and two guitarists & the other guy always sits next to them and turns himself up higher than me

Yes, now what is the point of rambling on about an amp you use when you jam with the drummer?

A few of us are telling you that a distortion pedal is not an end-all solution to a lack of distortion coming from your amp. What you need to do is, instead of buying a distortion pedal that will only go so far, in terms of tone...you need to save up and buy a new amp. I'd suggest a tube amp, but odds are you will ignore my earlier suggestion and go for something with more "watts" thinking that it's ultimately better.

I wouldn't be saying this if you were practicing at home, but seeing as you are playing with a drummer, you NEED a new amp. And with a new/better amp, usually there is a yield of better "distortion".

The choice is yours...
Like everyone (or most everyone) has said, get a new amp. I suggest the Crate V series (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487056)
That amp will get you plenty of volume, and has decent tone for the price.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by ShredGod George

if that was only true
Quote by theacousticpunk
Like everyone (or most everyone) has said, get a new amp. I suggest the Crate V series (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487056)
That amp will get you plenty of volume, and has decent tone for the price.

I believe the V series is being discontinued, so TS would have to go used.
*That is, if TS follows our advice...
Quote by dudey5691
Yes, now what is the point of rambling on about an amp you use when you jam with the drummer?

A few of us are telling you that a distortion pedal is not an end-all solution to a lack of distortion coming from your amp. What you need to do is, instead of buying a distortion pedal that will only go so far, in terms of tone...you need to save up and buy a new amp. I'd suggest a tube amp, but odds are you will ignore my earlier suggestion and go for something with more "watts" thinking that it's ultimately better.

I wouldn't be saying this if you were practicing at home, but seeing as you are playing with a drummer, you NEED a new amp. And with a new/better amp, usually there is a yield of better "distortion".

The choice is yours...

i understand that im in dire need of a new amp, but i wont be able to get one until december, and i feel horrible that apparently i sound dumb enough in my posts to seem not to realize how badly tubes asspwn solid states, but im generally broke , so for now, im looking for a nicer distortion
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
i understand that im in dire need of a new amp, but i wont be able to get one until december, and i feel horrible that apparently i sound dumb enough in my posts to seem not to realize how badly tubes asspwn solid states, but im generally broke , so for now, im looking for a nicer distortion

Tube doesn't "asspwn" SS, it's just that you don't have enough money to go out and buy a good SS.

If you're buying a new tube amp later, buying a distortion pedal now is pretty much a waste of money... unless you like that distortion of tube overdrive. Just pointing that out, but again... it's your money.

All I'll say is that the DS-2 is bad (I own one), and the reviews I wrote about it was when I was oblivious to tone. A Muff pedal from EHX might be what you are looking for... not the micros, the standards. And those are pretty universally good for tubes and SS.