Are amps that are class a/b eg engl screamer, actually both classes, or is it possible to select the class on the amp?!?
No, ab is it's own class. Most guitar amps are class ab. I know some amps you can select if they're class a or class ab but I don't know about that one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm not sure exactly, but I know class A is for softer music, and AB is for uberly hardcore music.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Just the way the way the tubes in the poweramps are run. Generally class A is less efficient and not as tight sounding though it tends to produce more harmonics and sound bluesier. Class AB is the most common since you can get more power out of the same tubes. One class isn't better than the other, just different.

Quote by HLrocker
I'm not sure exactly, but I know class A is for softer music, and AB is for uberly hardcore music.

Not necessarily, the circuitry of the amp has a lot more to say about that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bottom line: It doesn't matter. The other circuitry has a much bigger impact than the class.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Bottom line: It doesn't matter. The other circuitry has a much bigger impact than the class.

+1
I'll try to make this as simple as possible:

If you look at a series of sound waves, half of everything is above the center line and half of everything is below it. Class A amps use all the power tubes for both halves all the time, because of this you can have a class A amp with only one power tube if you want.

Class A/B amps have to have pairs of tubes, this is because the amp alternates back and forth between them, one tube for the top half and one for the bottom half of each sound wave. You can't cut the inactive tube all the way off though, if you did it would sound choppy as there's no way to ensure that the timing between the crossover is absolutely perfect, this is called crossover distortion (this distortion does NOT sound good). To prevent crossover distortion, class A/B amps are "biased" to adjust the amount of work the inactive tube is doing.

Because you don't have the crossover, a class A amp is generally fuller sounding and more harmonically complex, but since that crossover isn't there to deaden the fullness and the harmonics they can get very muddy very quickly.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM