I didn't see the video, but I am almost sure it's a midi controller. They are awesome and VERY handy in live situations, but I'm not sure how they work..
Sounds like a true bypass looper or something of that nature.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The stompboxes are in his rack setup...and he has a pedalboard that has, I'm assuming, different combinations of the stompboxes programed in.
It's a GCX switching system manufactured by Voodoo Lab. You control it with a Midi floor controller and it can manage any combination of 8 audio loops simultaneously. You can put stompboxes, preamps, rack gear, etc in each audio loop and set up different combination's which you can recall with a single tap.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I should also note that there are several switching systems like this on the market. The simplest and most straight forward is probably the Combinator by Carl Martin, which has the audio loops on the floor and allows you to program combination's of them. There are expensive high end units from companies like Axess Electronics and C.A.E., and then there's the RG-16 from RJM that gives you 8 loops, a buffer, and 8 more function switches for controlling amps.
"so you dont have to tap dance like crazy to get a ****ing bitching sound" awesome quote!
Looking for a new sig!
What I don't understand is how the switching machine works. How does it turn on the stomp boxes? Is there a machine that presses down on it's button?
Quote by hhr
So in order to use this effect switching method...you need the voodoo piece and the ground controller?

Basically yes. There are a few other controllers that can control it, but all of them are more expensive.
Quote by injected
What I don't understand is how the switching machine works. How does it turn on the stomp boxes? Is there a machine that presses down on it's button?

No. It's more like a bunch of little effects loops that can be switched on and off. The pedals always stay on, they're just being moved in and out of the signal path.
OHH, so there's bunch of inputs in the voodoo unit where the pedals go, I'm guessing. How many can it accommodate?

How does the ground controller work with midi? Is are they all universal or do they need to be programmed somehow?
Quote by injected
OHH, so there's bunch of inputs in the voodoo unit where the pedals go, I'm guessing. How many can it accommodate?

The GCX has 8 audio loops.

Quote by injected
How does the ground controller work with midi? Is are they all universal or do they need to be programmed somehow?

Midi is a universal language that certain contraptions use to communicate with each other. The Ground Control is programmed to send a specific type of Midi message and the GCX is programmed to receive that specific type of Midi message and act accordingly. It's hard to put the whole process into a single post, but it's WAY WAY easier than most people make it out to be.