Used the searchbar and can't believe noone thought of this.

Discuss funk etc..

Also name some good funk bands with some good ol' retro funky basslines
there's already a funk thread somewhere in the blues and jazz forum

but hellz yeah to tha funk

p funk baby
Sly and the Family Stone, then P-Funk and the meters for old school stuff
Some of the early chili peppers had retro funky bass stuff, but anything by bootsy collins is going to be awesome.
If anybody comes in here and mentions Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm going to kill them.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
If anybody comes in here and mentions Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm going to kill them.

best go hang yourself then, sucka

the peps are a funk band at heart, but most of the truest funk was done in the 60's and 70's.
Quote by srvflood

i like old rhcp stuff as my favorite funk band sorry... songs like Funky Monks and Get up and Jump are amazing.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
i like old rhcp stuff as my favorite funk band sorry... songs like Funky Monks and Get up and Jump are amazing.

Bootsy Collins, P Funk, Sly Stone, Zapp and Roger, AWB, Rick James, Earth Wind and Fire, The Commodores, to name a few.

I grew up with funk, and I love it.
P-Funk helllll yeah. Meters, Sly and the Family Stone, Earth Wind and Fire, and anything George Clinton has touched. THAT INCLUDES Freaky Styley. Sorry Pepper haters, it's true
Quote by professorlamp
Used the searchbar and can't believe noone thought of this.

Discuss funk etc..

Also name some good funk bands with some good ol' retro funky basslines

Also, there's a funk thread in the B&J forum. Just so you know.
Quote by imgooley

Bootsy Collins, P Funk, Sly Stone, Zapp and Roger, AWB, Rick James, Earth Wind and Fire, The Commodores, to name a few.

I grew up with funk, and I love it.

im new to funk
good job being an elitist **** about it.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx

To me, RHCP wouldn't be classified as a pure funk band. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they are funky in the sense that Steely Dan is jazz. They were heavily influenced by it and you can definitely pick it up if you listen to a lot of their songs, but you wouldn't classify Steely Dan alongside Coltrane, Mingus, Miles, etc. nor would RHCP be classified alongside Sly, The Meters, James Brown, etc.

Although, it is kind of nitpicking because all that really matters is if the music is good or not.