I've done quite a bit of work modding my guitar (changing pups, 18v mod, ect.) but I've never really messed with an amp before. How hard is it to change out a speaker? Is it just a matter of soldering the cord that plugs in the speaker out?
Gear:
Agile PRS Copy w/ floyd PS-970
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
loosen the screws that hold the speaker to the amp they should be fairly loose but not too loose and then unhook the chords that come from the amp to the speaker. Usually you don't have to solder/unsolder them and then get a new speaker and put it back in. It's really quite simple.
Thanks, sounds even easier than I thought it would be...
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
make sure the new speaker is the same impedance as the old one!!!!!!!! the champ 600 is 4 ohms. and one sweet little amp.

so anyway, get a 4 ohm, 6" speaker
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
It is. I'm getting a 6" Jenson Mod.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
The only thing I feel the need to mention is be careful of how tightly you screw the speaker to the baffle. I wouldn't bring it up, but I recently had to replace a speaker for someone after they dropped a new one in and tightened it beyond belief, the thing warped and crapped out.

In general it's a simple procedure and you should be fine.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
make sure the new speaker is the same impedance as the old one!!!!!!!! the champ 600 is 4 ohms. and one sweet little amp.

so anyway, get a 4 ohm, 6" speaker

It's 3.2ohms actually.
really? alright then the guitarcenter specs are wrong. that was a disaster waiting to happen....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yes...

The modern Champs probably do use 4ohm speakers and probably have a transformer that has a 4ohm secondary.

All vintage style Champs (mine included) have a 3.2ohm secondary.
okay, thats why, im lookin at the reissue....amazing little amp, as i said before (champs in general, i doubt the reissue could really be as good as the original)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
The Champ 600 is sopposably a nightmare... Really bad workman ship and break down a lot.

Silverface Champs are actually really nice (about the only Silverface that was as good as a BF imo). You can get a vintage one for around $200 - $300 ($200 if your lucky that is).
When you do install the new speaker, tighten one a screw a little then move to another in a criss-cross pattern. You want to keep them as even as you can to prevent warping which can result from tightening one or a few significantly more than others.
Quote by kurtlives91
The Champ 600 is sopposably a nightmare... Really bad workman ship and break down a lot.

Silverface Champs are actually really nice (about the only Silverface that was as good as a BF imo). You can get a vintage one for around $200 - $300 ($200 if your lucky that is).

not the one i played in guitar center....of course i blew a speaker in the valve Jr. cab they had i hooked up to, but thats not the champ, but if it is that bad, i might have to reconsider my amp choice....or buy it and rebuild it with better parts
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Thanks guys. The speaker should be here Tuesday. I usually do the thing with the screws for equal tension... My dad does woodworking and maintenance and that's one of the first things he taught me...
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2