Hey guys!

Idk about you, but I really don't like the feel of painted necks. They just feel way too sticky to me. So I was thinking maybe the next guitar I get, I could sand the neck down so it's just bare wood? What all would go into this? Also, would it be possible to just get the "gloss" finish off the neck, rather than all the paint? I mean the gloss just always seems to stick to my hand, which obviously creates problems for me. I've heard of using 0000 steel wool and just really lightly going over the neck a few times to get some of it off, would this work?

BTW, I'm thinking of getting an Eclipse standard series, in either white or aged white. Probably white.

Would it be wise to have someone do this for me? If so where could I get it done and roughly how much would it cost? I don't want to have my guitar screwed up and have paint on one half of the neck and not the other
don't do it, your neck will be too exposed to the elements and won't last long. the point of paint and varnish is so that moisture doesn't get into the wood and warp the neck. the steel wool would work, but i'd consult a guitar tech first. also, it might feel sticky beacause your hands might be sweaty or dirty, same with the neck. celan your hands thouroughly and dry them, and clean the neck.
I used to have a side business making custom bodies & doing custom paint work on guitars. If you use the fine steel wool, it will probably take off enough of the glassiness from the finish so your hands don't stick, yet still allow you to polish it back to a glassy finish if you ever decide to sell the guitar. If the steel wool doesn't do it for you, you can sand the neck with 400 grit sandpaper, even 320 if you want it rougher, & still be able to get the glass finish back later if you want it. Just DO NOT SAND HARD. It takes only the slightest bit of sanding to roughen the finish enough. You want to roughen it, not remove it! Good luck!

Edit: ^He's right. If you decide to take it down to bare wood, use tung oil to seal out moisture & contaminants.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Do it in steps, but you won't need to go the the bare wood. I don't remember what grits I used on my guitars but is something like 200, 400, 600 & then steel wool in that order. It doesn't need to show wood but just enough to look like a satin finish, it will feel smooth and not sticky like the gloss finish.
steel wool is good for changing the texture of the gloss.

and this way you still be left with the protective finish.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.