I'm looking for someone to recommend me some good effects. I'm in a prog rock/metal band, stuff like Porcupine Tree, Rush, The Mars Volta, Opeth, etc. Price really isn't much of an issue but I don't want to spend more than I have too. Thanks.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Get a delay or two. I would suggest getting a MXR Carbon Copy for warm swampy analogue delays, and maybe a boss DD3 for ultra clean copied delay signals.
definately want a chorus for Porcupine Tree. I have no idea what chorus steve wilson uses...but I like my Small Clone, but try some others.

+1 on the Delays. maybe a gentle bit of phasing. Wah? not too sure on mars volta. i dont listen to them. but i do know they are pretty nutso on the effects at times.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Awesome. Yea, I've really been wanting a good delay pedal but I just didn't know what kind to get. I had a MXR phase 90 but the thing got fried some how. Any suggestions on a phaser?

Quote by LaidBack
definately want a chorus for Porcupine Tree. I have no idea what chorus steve wilson uses...but I like my Small Clone, but try some others.

+1 on the Delays. maybe a gentle bit of phasing. Wah? not too sure on mars volta. i dont listen to them. but i do know they are pretty nutso on the effects at times.

I already have a wah. It's a Dunlop 535Q.
Last edited by Quark Soup at Aug 24, 2008,
You can go ape with effects in prog, try guitar synths and ring modulators etc... pretty much every effects pedal has a place in prog.
Quote by Meddled
You can go ape with effects in prog, try guitar synths and ring modulators etc... pretty much every effects pedal has a place in prog.

think progressive in the true sense of the word

any new technology -> embrace it
DigiTech Whammy, maybe? You already have a wah - look into a flanger, maybe a chorus pedal... and definitely a delay.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by seljer
think progressive in the true sense of the word

any new technology -> embrace it

I hear the guitar synths like the Roland one aren't that great. As for the Delay, Flanger, and Ring Modulator; what are some good brands?
MXR Carbon Copy and a Boss DD-20 or Line 6 DL4 with expression pedal as far as delays go. I'd go with an EHX Small Stone and Small Clone for phasing and chorusing needs. MXR or one of the older school Boss Flangers for flang.

Or you could just buy like anything that looks cool off of Ebay...it seems that's what Omar does from TMV. :p Seriously, just get anything that distorts what you're playing, that's what he goes for. Opeth barely use effects, and Steven Wilson's got a TC Eletronic G System, a Carl Martin Compressor, a Bad Cat OD, a Tubescreamer, a Boss OD and a Line 6 POD (a few issues back in Guitar World they had his rig), so maybe some big multifx too?
Quote by seljer
^^Opeth have got those Boss GT units for all their effects live

as true as it probably is, i refuse to believe they get their brutal tones from the POD...

oh well, anyway, if you dont mind droppin $250 USD on a delay, do what i'm doing and get the TC Electronics Nova Delay. its freakin badass. or like someone else said, just go for the TC Elec. Nova system. i hear its well worth the cash. i just cant be bothered with rack effects at this point in time, personally.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
/\

They don't use the GT's for distortion (as some people believe). Their amps are clearly on live, and it's definitely a crunchy tube sound. I know Mikael and Frederic use the GTs for effects, but honestly what Opeth songs USE effects?
i think there is some very subtle phasing in some of the songs....i cant for the life of me remember which one it was, but Fredrik accidentally kicked on the phaser when i saw them at Terminal 5 in NYC back in May at the end of a song. then at the end of the song Mikael was like "Sheesh, the new guy is always messing up". it made me laugh. Mikael makes me laugh. i heart Opeth.

back on topic, just listen to some songs where you like the effects used. if you cannot discern them for yourself, come here and ask, you know GG&A is always willing to help. then just try out what you can. we cannot tell you what you will and will not like.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
delay is important - mxr carbon copy, ehx deluxe memory man, uhh... line 6 dl-4.

and basically any modulation that moog makes...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
chorus - Visual Sound Liquid Chorus (you can get leslie, flanger, and phaser effects out of this pedal)
delay - Ibanez DE-7 (huge range can get you any delay you really want/need)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus