i decided to get a krank half stack and was wondering whats the diffrence between the krankenstien and rev series. do they sound similar or are they entirely diffrent amps also will the rev1 sound diffrent to the new rev1+. i know that the rev 1 is 100 watts and the + is 120 watts. will there be a huge diffrence in sound.
can't speak much about the Rev and Rev+ as I've never owned them. However, I played a Rev 1 combo quite a bit that my friend had. The Stein to me sounds a little darker, not a dark amp, but darker than the Rev. Seemed to have a bit more lowend too. Most people I've talked to preferred the Rev to the Stein in the original series, but I actually liked the Stein better. The Stein was also quite a bit harder to dial in for the sound I wanted however, it can get fuzzy and muddy if you aren't careful with the sweep and presence/treble controls.

I will say though, the difference between the Krankenstein+ and the original is quite a jump. It's a little tighter, more punchy, less highend fuzz, and the EQ has a more usable range imo. The jump to 120W was the combination of a different output transformer along with 6550 tubes. The 2 together made quite a difference in the sound. The actual circuit board topology is different too, so I'm sure that had an effect. Personally, I think the + was a vast improvement over the original in the Stein series.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Haven't played the Rev, but I have played the Krankenstein. I don't think it's worth the price tag. I, and many others I know of, feel that the amp is just to muddy. The resale value on these is quite crappy too.
Quote by caraluzzo
Haven't played the Rev, but I have played the Krankenstein. I don't think it's worth the price tag. I, and many others I know of, feel that the amp is just to muddy. The resale value on these is quite crappy too.

most of the guys that try them, have no idea what they are doing with the EQ. My Stein+ is far from muddy if you eq it correctly.
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/14-sennmic3-02.mp3
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/82-Krank%2Bclip.mp3

the resale value can be used in your favor if you buy used, which is the smartest way anyway. I got my Stein ridiculously cheap. It keeps up with the big names in sound, and build quality. I have owned plenty of high end heads for comparison.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
to the guy two posts up, Krank amps in general take a long time to get used to EQ'ing. they are very responsive and can take a while to get a good tone, but when you do its like an orgasm in your ear