Page 1 of 2
..how about him?

He's one of my favorite blues artists, influenced Hendrix and Clapton and he's still making great music today. I had been really into him previously, but kinda forgot about him until just a few days ago when I went to a show of his.

He's absolutely stunning in concert. Such a showman. He does all the little tricks, playing behind his head, messing with feedback, he even walked out into the crowd and managed to play with thousands of people grabbing at him. One of the best shows I've ever been to. I don't think there's anyone else who can manipulate volume the way he does, and manage to put so much emotion into his guitar and vocals.

Buddy Guy - Discuss.
Shes Gooooone!!!
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

I think the part you mentioned about emotion is very subjective.
Although I understand you said "I think" therefore you were simply implying it as your opinion.
My opinion differs on that particular statement, although I agree that he does put a lot of emotion into playing his music.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Quote by the_bear_shark
I think the part you mentioned about emotion is very subjective.
Although I understand you said "I think" therefore you were simply implying it as your opinion.
My opinion differs on that particular statement, although I agree that he does put a lot of emotion into playing his music.

Yes yes, we know. Emotion is all subjective. Thank you for being the person who ust has to point that out for everyone.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
Yes yes, we know. Emotion is all subjective. Thank you for being the person who ust has to point that out for everyone.

I said that I agreed that he did put emotion, but not that he put the most.

Would you rather that I simply said "NO YOU'RE WRONG JIMI HENDRIX PUT MORE EMOTION"

EDIT: I would also like to point out that I said that I acknowledged the fact that he meant it as an opinion, and not fact.

However had I not mentioned all that, and simply said i disagreed, I'm sure I would've been told I was completely wrong, and that the statement is subjective.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Last edited by the_bear_shark at Aug 24, 2008,
Buddy Guy is fantastic. I still need to get his new album....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I buzzed you bell this morning baby...
You had your elevator running slow.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Buzz your bell this morning, trying to get up on your...
Quote by SBCrazyDiamond
I saw him for free last year. Pretty damn amazing.

So did I. It wouldn't happen to have been in Pittsburgh, would it? Anyway, it was an awesome show. And his new album is great.
personally i rarely listen to him, not cuz i dont like him, just cuz i own any of his albums :P

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
i saw him a few years ago here in UK, personally i wish he had played a bit more music and cut down on the clowning around.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
See I've heard some Buddy Guy (not a lot) and seen some performances of him on video and such. The thing is, I find him kinda neither here nor there. His brand of electric blues is neither as charged and hard rocking as say SRV, or Clapton, nor does it have the psychedelic blitz of a Hendrix, or the elegant power of Jeff Beck. I feel it's unfair to compare him to these other players, and use it as a basis of judgment against his music, but to be fair, these are the reasons that I don't find his playing overtly appealing.

Is there any landmark album I should listen to, to really dig into his sound (if that does happen)? I mean the majority of blues and blues/rock musicians cite him as a big influence. Maybe it's a matter of acquiring a taste for his playing. I know it took me all of the last 5 years to finally appreciate the playing of Clapton and Beck!
^ 'damn right i got the blues' is probably a good starting point. includes some guest appearances by clapton and beck.

i also like 'feels like rain' which is a little more soulful.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Finally saw him last week, and he completely upstaged George Thorogood in every way. I was really glad he opened and still got a 90 minute set. There's a review on my profile.

Anyone have his new album? Quite good I think. The stuff worked very well live.
Hey, I'm Mike.
His brand of electric blues is neither as charged and hard rocking as say SRV, or Clapton, nor does it have the psychedelic blitz of a Hendrix, or the elegant power of Jeff Beck.

I kinda think Buddy has a bit of all these things...Guess it's pretty subjective, but I think his stuff is as charged as SRV, only with a different flavour ( Texas / Chicago ).
There's no night out in the jail !

Last.fm --> mas0nic
Quote by mas0n
I kinda think Buddy has a bit of all these things...Guess it's pretty subjective, but I think his stuff is as charged as SRV, only with a different flavour ( Texas / Chicago ).

To be honest, I find all of what Buddy has done to be far beyond what Stevie had done. While I love them both dearly, there not as many instances where Stevie's music induced a physiological change in my body. Buddy's music has the ability to do that on every song. You can feel the electricity through the recording itself.

BTW, I've never been a Clapton fan. I like The Bluesbreakers and Cream, but after that, Clapton's a no go for me. I HATE his cover of I Shot the Sheriff.
Quote by imgooley
To be honest, I find all of what Buddy has done to be far beyond what Stevie had done. While I love them both dearly, there not as many instances where Stevie's music induced a physiological change in my body. Buddy's music has the ability to do that on every song. You can feel the electricity through the recording itself.

Agreed, Buddy Guy is incredible in every sense. I think he's got better as he's got older, in my opinion his song writing has improved tenfold as he's got older.
^Agreed. He was great when he was younger, too, but these days he's seems that much better.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Buddy is a legend. I have a limited amount of his solo albums, but his I really enjoy his work with Junior Wells (Hoodoo Man Blues album). The influence he has had on other artists is unbelievable.

The one thing that bothers me about him is that every time I see him on video, he comes off as a total asshole and that keeps me from watching/listening to more of his stuff.
^I've only heard a few of those Junior Wells tracks, but they are fantastic.

But how does he seem like an asshole? I really enjoy watching his videos. He puts on a fantastic show.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
He just comes off to me as being unfriendly, and thinks that people are somehow inferior to himself.
I'm not your buddy, guy!
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Do you have an example? I've never gotten that impression whatsoever.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I'll have to watch later. I'm at work. =/

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by microtech
One quick example that comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQqNTgnJmpE&feature=related

Why?

The telling the crowd to shut up bit???

Wouldn't you be a bit annoyed if in the middle of your act or when you're telling a story someone shouts out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4TNJvVk8M&NR=1
Does he still seem like a jerk?
You can't judge a man based on telling someone to shut up once. I haven't watched the video, but anyone can have a bad day.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by ze monsta
Why?

The telling the crowd to shut up bit???

Wouldn't you be a bit annoyed if in the middle of your act or when you're telling a story someone shouts out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4TNJvVk8M&NR=1
Does he still seem like a jerk?

Yes, he still sounds like a jerk. Just because he has a kid on stage with him doesn't make a difference.

He seems to have a problem with people interrupting him, but I think people are going to shout stuff at concerts...
You've never told anyone to shut up? Do you consider yourself a jerk because you've told someone to shut up once or twice in your life?

I've seen tons and tons of Buddy Guy videos, and never once, up until that one, have I seem him even come off as kind of rude to the audience.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Jesus, have you never seen a Buddy Guy interview? He is probably one of the most humble men ever to play blue guitar.

Watch the documentary Can't Quit the Blues, and you'll see what I mean.
^That's an excellent point. Thinking back, that documentary is where I gained a lot of my respect for him. It's really a good watch. That whole box set is pure gold.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^ Might need to find this documentary. And honestly, Buddy Guy doesn't seem like a jerk to me. He just says what he thinks. In my opinion, he seems like one of the coolest bluesmen still around.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Buddy Guy is incredible. I went to one of his shows and it was just so much fun, I couldn't believe he was 72 years old. I love his smooth never-ending tone and his unique phrasing. At one point he was playing so hard he broke 2 strings at once. "twas funny.

Oh, and this is really cool too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mujaxzs3X4
I wouldn't say he's an asshole at all. Every interview and every documentary I've seen, I don't remember he came off as an ass once. Even if he did, it wasn't any worse than some other artists I saw, hell, I heard Bruce Dickinson yell 'Shut Up' ( he meant it ) at a concert in Budapest just a couple of weeks ago.

I think it's just a part of the show. Off the stage, he is as humble as they get. Anyhow, I especially like it when Buddy plays Voodoo Child, he's probably the only person other than Jimi that makes it work.
There's no night out in the jail !

Last.fm --> mas0nic
So today, flicking through the paper I read that his brother (Phil Guy) died about a week ago. RIP
Would anyone recommend some stuff by him?
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
So today, flicking through the paper I read that his brother (Phil Guy) died about a week ago. RIP
Would anyone recommend some stuff by him?

Man and the Blues. It's one of the albums with Junior Wells.
Quote by mas0n
I wouldn't say he's an asshole at all. Every interview and every documentary I've seen, I don't remember he came off as an ass once. Even if he did, it wasn't any worse than some other artists I saw, hell, I heard Bruce Dickinson yell 'Shut Up' ( he meant it ) at a concert in Budapest just a couple of weeks ago.

I think it's just a part of the show. Off the stage, he is as humble as they get. Anyhow, I especially like it when Buddy plays Voodoo Child, he's probably the only person other than Jimi that makes it work.

Are you kidding? You apparently don't listen to much SRV....
Page 1 of 2