Hey people, i recently bought the GH100L and was very dissapointed with the sound however i managed to get a superior sound by playing it through my friends S series Ibanez, one of the lower model ones around £350 but has better pickups than my wahsburn X-50Q., the tone i got was still not what i want, but a lot better, messed around with the settings and took your advise.

i have 4 questions

1. How much of a difference will the Demarzio pickups make on the PGM301

2. The valves i have are TAD 3L4B'S the B apparently stands for british but i son't see these installed in any other GHL's on the website the price ranges from 10 euros too 172 and seeing as there is no model name on mine it's hard to tell

10 Euro- http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/produc...products_id=561

172 euro http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/produc...products_id=341

3. What are the BEST EL34 valves available for the GH100L and how much would it cost me too get them fitted?

4.How much of a difference would a TS9 make, I've been told it could make a significant difference

I've made a new topic rather than updating the other as nobody seems to be looking at the old post

I'm looking for that thick, punchy gilbert tone
What do you want? Metal tone?

If so, throw in some 6L6 tubes and boost it with an OD.

Add some mids, cut some bass.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by sharpy1
Why 6L6 tubes over the EL34'S? I believe Gilbert uses EL34'S

So? You could use the exact same gear as Gilbert but you'll never sound like him. Only he can

6L6 tubes just sound good in these amps.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=Video46.flv

This is my old Laney with 6L6 tubes in it. Is that close to the tone you want?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by sharpy1
Why 6L6 tubes over the EL34'S? I believe Gilbert uses EL34'S

Well it does all depend on what you want from your tone; since I think you're going for Gilbert type tone you'll be wanting to stick with EL34s of some kind, maybe some tung-sols or EHXs; the EHXs sound great in my GH50L.

If you wanted something more metal than 6L6s would be a better choice as they're darker in tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You can never go wrong with JJ EL34 tubes.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Zaphod have you heard of these valves? they are described as punchy

E34L

Factory description: Gold plated control grid for improved fidelity. Special plate alloy improves plate dissipation as compared to the standard EL34 resulting in stable performance at higher power levels.

My observation: This tube has about 20% more head room than the standard EL34 and it also has a deeper, tighter low end. The E34L is also a bit punchier and more aggressive than the standard EL34 which makes it a Great tube for Matchless, Bogner, Carvin, Peavey and all Marshall amps. I have them in one of my old SUNN heads. Incredible sound! The E34L and the JJ KT77 are the only EL34 type tubes that I have found that will stand up to the 700 plus plate volts found in the Musicman HD 130 amps.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can never go wrong with JJ EL34 tubes.

Link please! Brootal that sounds too low for me lacking punch
Quote by sharpy1
Link please! Brootal that sounds too low for me lacking punch

The camera dulls the punch.

http://thetubestore.com/teslael34l.html

This one is EL34

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=Video17.flv
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
you using EL34'S in that clip? nice playing btw, how comes these are called E34L's?
Quote by sharpy1
you using EL34'S in that clip? nice playing btw, how comes these are called E34L's?

Different plate voltages. Slighty different voicing.

Those were JJ EL34 tubes.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
that sounded much nicer, if you were to re buy now would you buy the EL34'S or the E34L's?
Taking into account
he E34L is also a bit punchier and more aggressive than the standard EL34, apparently anyway..hardly any youtube clips with them online, are they relatively new?
Quote by sharpy1
that sounded much nicer, if you were to re buy now would you buy the EL34'S or the E34L's?
Taking into account
he E34L is also a bit punchier and more aggressive than the standard EL34, apparently anyway..hardly any youtube clips with them online, are they relatively new?

The E34L is a bit more like a 6L6 if anything.

If you want EL34 tone, go EL34.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
they must still make them. Just go to your local guitar store
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by sharpy1
Can't seem to find the EL34'S on thetubestore.com , only the E34L

...there are other places on the internet to shop you know...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.