Hey, I have tendonitis, no I haven't seen a doctor yes, but it's pretty simple to identify. It's slowly gotten worse over the past few months where I can't even open a door knob or straighten my fingers on my picking hand and it hurts to hold a pick. I also have it in my left hand but to a lesser degree. Is there any hope for me? I plan on going to see a doctor soon but until I can it's been pain killers and ignoring it.

Is there any hope for me? I've tried stretches and other things I've found on youtube and where ever else but they only do so much for me. Has anyone overcome problems like this?
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
i dont know but get well mate
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
^Thanks, it sucks quite a bit, I've only been playing for about 8 months and as soon as I decide to get serious about learning this happens, but I guess if I manage to get over this it'll make my playing so much more worth it. It just really sucks when you wanna sit down and practice or jam and 5 minutes in you can't hold the pick.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
sorry to say, but you're pretty ****ed.
and by ignoring it, you **** yourself further. you HAVE to stop forcing ANYTHING at all, or it may become permanent (which most probably is already, but may be more painful)
hurts = don't do

you should definitely stop playing, and rest for the time your doc will say / till you feel good.
if you keep doing it, it won't be just your guitar playing which will hurt, it's anything which involves hand using (everything in the world?)

if you're really into music you should try to find another instrument that doesn't involve so much muscle usage, or close to none.
i can't think of any at the moment but there should be one.
and then again, you could just become a theory nerd, till you can play an instrument again (which of course would have amazing benefits / would help you master the instrument faster than waiting to do both at the same time)

good luck
I have tendinitis myself, or at least have dealt with it in the past. Now, I didn't have it to the same extent as you're suffering, but it was pretty nasty for a bit. I ended up going to the doctor, and they gave me a prescription for a cream that reduced inflammation and it worked like wonders.

Of course, resting for now is your best option. Its safe, even if you don't like it. Once you start playing, focus on your posture and how much tension is in your hand, tendons, and muscles.

If all else fails, possibly try acupuncture. My guitar teacher who had major tendinitis a couple of times did it, and he hasn't felt much pain since.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I had it for a while in my left wrist. I got a guitar with a thinner neck and that, combined with sufficient rest, did the job.

As previously mentioned, the most important thing is to stop doing absolutely everything that is irritating your tendons.
as mentioned just stop doing anything with your hands. the dr. will be able to prescribe medication to help with the pain and the inflammation that comes with tendonitis, which means there is hope for a delay in it (if nothing else) had you gone to the dr. at the very beginning there would have been a lot more hope for you but that unfortunately is not the case now. you can always write music and getting fruity loops or some other kind of interface will allow you to still write and make music. my have very light arthritis and it only bugs me rarely but when it does it stiffens my hands enough to make playing guitar more difficult than it should be. but luckily i can still point and click notes into fruity loops and write some killer songs.
Quote by RCalisto
sorry to say, but you're pretty ****ed.

What a horrible thing to say. the last thing a person wants to hear is something like that, and its not necessarily true. dumbass.

TS:

While tendonitis can be very serious, many people have recovered from it. Definitely see a doctor. The 1st thing is to take a break from anything that is aggravating the injury. Ultimately it comes down to rest (let it heal).... then exercise.

Focus on recovery. It takes time, but there is a good chance you can heal.
shred is gaudy music
I think I should make it clear that I will never ever give up playing guitar, borderline losing both my hands there's nothing that could make me stop. I plan on getting to the doctor as soon as possible, and I'll even try acupuncture if all else fails. But yeah, I guess taking a break for now would be the best thing to do. I guess I can focus on theory for now, but it just won't be the same.

Anyways thanks for the kind words and wish me luck, if anyone's interested in the results feel free to add me or something and I'll keep you updated.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by Slone
I think I should make it clear that I will never ever give up playing guitar, borderline losing both my hands there's nothing that could make me stop. I plan on getting to the doctor as soon as possible, and I'll even try acupuncture if all else fails. But yeah, I guess taking a break for now would be the best thing to do. I guess I can focus on theory for now, but it just won't be the same.

Anyways thanks for the kind words and wish me luck, if anyone's interested in the results feel free to add me or something and I'll keep you updated.

definitely take a break from guitar and any other activity that aggravates the injury. People recover if they take the right actions. It's not something to mess around with.
Good luck!
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Slone

For sure! See what the doctor recommends, and learn as much as you can off the guitar. Then once you get back, you'll have a new and refreshed look on the guitar. Best of luck.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
i have tendonitis in my left shoulder. i saw a doctor once i got it. do whatever the doctor tells you to do to help your tendon. tendonitis is not fun, i got mine during swim season and my coach was so pissed at me. get better, and please see a doctor.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
its good to practice but yea dont over do it man and practice / jam correctly but i hope you get better. I've been play for like almost two years and my hands kinda get sore from time to time but not extremely.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.