I'm thinking of buying a Warwick Corvette soon, but I have heard people say some other brands will give you a better bass for the same price. The "Warwick growl" would be nice, but if another bass has a better and more detailed sound overall for the same price, please tell me.

I spotted this Ibanez that appears to have good specifications and is cheaper.
SRs and Corvettes aren't that similar. With Warwick especially you really do have to feel the bass in your hands before you know if it's right for you.

That Ibanez won't sound or feel much like that Warwick. They're both great instruments though.
Yeah. A ibanez SR is nothing like a warwick.
Try to get a warwick used.
I got a old fortress for only 600$ and it kicks the corvette's ass imo.
If you are looking for alternative to a warwick, this schecter bass has a surprising warwick like growl when i played it http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=100
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I know exactly what the Warwick is like. It's just a bit expensive as a "basic model".
Quote by BrickIsRed
I know exactly what the Warwick is like. It's just a bit expensive as a "basic model".

Go used.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I found a bass that sounds monstrous in comparison to the Warwick Corvette. The Schecter Diamond Hellraiser 5 with EMG Hz pickups. This is the only example I could find.

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't appear to be exactly the same bass. Does anyone recognize his?
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Aug 24, 2008,
Perhaps try a few spectors, very similar to warwick
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
Perhaps try a few spectors, very similar to warwick

Spectors don't exist in Europe.
Quote by Captain Insano
I'm going to say at least go try some Musicman basses out, if you haven't already.

The cheapest Musicman is €1600 here. If I had that much I'd be buying a Warwick.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Spectors don't exist in Europe.

They exist... Lots of there basses are made in europe...
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
They exist... Lots of there basses are made in europe...

Actually I had a look around and there are Spectors here, but they're €1000+ except for a few weird semi-acoustic models.
there is no alternative to warwick... just save up. You won't regret it. I saved for 4 years, and now I own a Double buck in Nirvana Black.
A Warwick and only a Warwick sounds like a Warwick. Period.

And for a 'basic model' it's made with the same woods and with the same machines in the same shop with the same electronics and hardware as the several thousand dollar basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by BrickIsRed
I found a bass that sounds monstrous in comparison to the Warwick Corvette. The Schecter Diamond Hellraiser 5 with EMG Hz pickups. This is the only example I could find.

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't appear to be exactly the same bass. Does anyone recognize his?

Monstrous in comparison? I don't know what you've been playing that corvette through, but it just sounds like a Warwick without the RAWR! factor. I like the RAWR factor
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by BrickIsRed

That, by no means, sounds "monstrous" compared to a Corvette (although I do like the choice of song). It has been suggested before, but what you need to do is check the used market. I picked up my Corvette Standard (active model) for $500 cash and my Corvette $$ for $800 (both with hardcases and in basically new condition). If you really want a Warwick (and it doesn't appear to me that you are sure of this yet) then the only option is to buy a Warwick. There is no alternative.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by thefitz
A Warwick and only a Warwick sounds like a Warwick. Period.

And for a 'basic model' it's made with the same woods and with the same machines in the same shop with the same electronics and hardware as the several thousand dollar basses.

This is the key point about Warwicks. Every one of their basses is made to the same standard. A corvette feels as nice to play as a Thumb (BO for close comparison) despite being half the price.

The corvettes are absolutely fantastic basses, and I feel they could easily sell them for a couple of hundred more than they do already and still be good value. I am a massive fan of the warwick necks and tone though, so I am quite biased.

If you want a warwick, nothing comes close to it. If it isn't the bass for you, it never will be.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Okay, answer me this. Does the non-Bubinga (Swamp Ash) Warwick Corvette also have that "growl"? That version is available cheaper.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Okay, answer me this. Does the non-Bubinga (Swamp Ash) Warwick Corvette also have that "growl"? That version is available cheaper.

The ash version has a more trebly growl, and is an overall brighter bass than the bubinga version.

The bubinga model has a much deeper growl as well as an incredibly heavy, yet clear low end.

When you spend that much on a bass, you may as well go for the one you prefer. Try both, irregardless of the price, and then save for the one you prefer.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by BrickIsRed

What song is that? I like it.
Quote by BrickIsRed

The bubinga version has a way more pronounced low end and incredible clarity to it. Ash has a snappier, brighter tone to it. I would always hands down choose bubinga over the ash version. I do think they should be charging ALOT less for the ash version though because ash is a HELL of alot cheaper than a body blank of bubinga is.
Quote by Bass-man43
The bubinga version has a way more pronounced low end and incredible clarity to it. Ash has a snappier, brighter tone to it. I would always hands down choose bubinga over the ash version. I do think they should be charging ALOT less for the ash version though because ash is a HELL of alot cheaper than a body blank of bubinga is.

From the videos and clips I've looked up, the Ash version has a very lite sound, to the point where it wouldn't fit a rock song at all. It's a shame because the Ash Corvette 5 string is within my price range.

I feel I really need a five string, but the Warwick Corvette Bubinga 5 string costs €125 more (€1050) and isn't in stock probably for the rest of the year. The Schecter Hellraiser is available in both 4 and 5 string without raising the price.

I should mention I'm getting the bass as a gift, and I'm already stretching it if I want to get the 4 string Corvette bubinga. Maybe I'll settle on the 4 and down tune it as needed.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Aug 25, 2008,
I tune my (maple-bodied) corvette to BEAD. In my opinion, the Warick 5-6 stringers are a bit too tight for me. A shame. Only played a BN once - maybe a 5er BN would be perfect.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by BrickIsRed
From the videos and clips I've looked up, the Ash version has a very lite sound, to the point where it wouldn't fit a rock song at all. It's a shame because the Ash Corvette 5 string is within my price range.

I feel I really need a five string, but the Warwick Corvette Bubinga 5 string costs €125 more (€1050) and isn't in stock probably for the rest of the year. The Schecter Hellraiser is available in both 4 and 5 string without raising the price.

I should mention I'm getting the bass as a gift, and I'm already stretching it if I want to get the 4 string Corvette bubinga. Maybe I'll settle on the 4 and down tune it as needed.

Check the soundclips in my bands myspace on my sig and the videos on my sig. All of them are a Warwick Corvette ash 5 banger. I think it fits a rock song.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
Check the soundclips in my bands myspace on my sig and the videos on my sig. All of them are a Warwick Corvette ash 5 banger. I think it fits a rock song.

You have good songs. But honestly, your low E's sound like a whisper. Which is fine for your style of playing, but I like my bass to be bass-heavy, and not sound like a strange 3rd guitar.
I feel mildly offended. My ash corvette has more than enough presence thank you.

Take a look at this, keeping in mind the video quality fails and the amp wasn't to my tastes as it was backline gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiK37rE2b50&feature=related

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
spector anyone?
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Even spector doesn't really cash in on the whole Warwick signature growl. They have growl, by all means, but it sounds polite, tailored if you will, to be a very modern sounding bass.

Quote by Nikki197666
I feel mildly offended. My ash corvette has more than enough presence thank you.

Take a look at this, keeping in mind the video quality fails and the amp wasn't to my tastes as it was backline gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiK37rE2b50&feature=related

It definitely has presence, but when you weren't slapping and playing high notes, it really became quiet. And say if I was playing a song with no slap notes, I don't feel this bass would be the best choice.
Well then, offer to foot the extra 125 euros and get the bubinga version. The shop will order it in for you if you ask them too.

The ash version does still have plently of low end. It is just masked by the higher growl (so it cuts through, while still giving plently of bass).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Well then, offer to foot the extra 125 euros and get the bubinga version. The shop will order it in for you if you ask them too.

The ash version does still have plently of low end. It is just masked by the higher growl (so it cuts through, while still giving plently of bass).

Yeah, I reckon I'll buy the 4 string active Bubinga model very soon. Thanks for clearing things up.
I bought a Warwick Corvette Proline off ebay about 8 years ago and it's the one bass I'll never get rid of. The Corvette's rock - great feel and sound. I once bought one of those really expensive Warwicks (it wasn't the thumb) and decided to not even use it on an album I was doing. It just didn't sound or play as good as the Corvette Proline. My proline has the painted/sealed body which I like because I don't want to have to oil the wood etc....
Quote by theslacker
I bought a Warwick Corvette Proline off ebay about 8 years ago and it's the one bass I'll never get rid of. The Corvette's rock - great feel and sound. I once bought one of those really expensive Warwicks (it wasn't the thumb) and decided to not even use it on an album I was doing. It just didn't sound or play as good as the Corvette Proline. My proline has the painted/sealed body which I like because I don't want to have to oil the wood etc....

Lucky. I don't have a chance in hell of stumbling across a 2nd hand Pro Line. And even if I did, it would probably still be out of my price range.

If I ever want another bass after the Corvette, it will probably be the Thumb.
Quote by theslacker

That's the same model I have. Not too many maple bodied basses that aren't finished, though
Quote by Cody_Grey102
As far as the no presence with slapping thing goes it was part of the dynamics of the song. Quiet in the verse and such.

But by all means, shell out for the Bubinga one, you will not regret it, and may the Warwick unite us.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a metal band that has used the Ash Corvette?