I've been practicing this progression -

Imaj7 #I°7 | IIm7 #II°7 | IIIm7 VI7

for the last 10 minutes and and the diminished chords don't seem to blend to well with the minor 7 chords and i wanted to know which songs use this or a similar progression so that i can get an idea of how they are being used, any suggestions?
yuor diminished are gonna be the 7th in the progresion for the basics. a vii0(triad) or a half diminished7th - viim7b5 and the half diminished is a degree with a line through the degree
song stuck in my head today

one common use is as a connecting chord between a V7 and a vi

a diminished 7 chord is like a dominant 7 with a raised root... so you can do something like:

A7 -> A#°7 -> Bm7

and because a diminished 7 chord is effectively 4 chords in one (i.e. A°7 has the same note enharmonically as C°7, Eb°7 and F#°7), you can use their ambiguity to 'drop you off at different floors of the elevator'... i.e. it can resolve equally well in many different directions
out of here
Could you substitute a m7b5 chord for a dominant chord? I know it wouldn't resolve as good to the root chord.
Last edited by Guitar Guy21 at Aug 24, 2008,
I'm using these chords :

Cmaj7 C#°7 | Dm7 D#°7 | Em7 A7

I managed to get a nice sound by not staying too much in the diminished chords and adding a fast staccato rhythm to it.