Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar. Seems like a good deal for $400.

but I'm afraid it won't do led zeppelin, acdc, santana, etc as well as a guitar with humbuckers.

Anybody think I should get something else? budget is is $450 max. Will go used if I must.

I play classic rock, blues.
You do realise the H in HSS stands for Humbucker right?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
If you switch out the Humbucker to something hotter, or just something different, it should be able to do almost anything you want it to.
^^
yes, but it's only on the bridge. I guess I can adjust to just that
its a great guitar, very versitile.
But imo Ibanez RG rules all!
LifeSucks
PeopleDie
F*ckTheWorld
LetsGetHigh
or just a Standard Strat SSS both guitars are great. I have the SSS and it gets me every sound I want...
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
its a great guitar, very versitile.
But imo Ibanez RG rules all!

Unless it has an Edge III.
And, Ibanez isn't what the TS needs, here.

The Strat will do fine. It's a very versatile guitar. What kind of amp are you using?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by esp1234
^
pv classic 30. it's on my sig!

Ah, didn't notice.

Yeah, great amp. Especially for what you play.

The Strat plugged into that amp is just what you need.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
yeah. but i think changing the humbucker will give you better results. try a paf pro or somethinglike that. its not that hot, not that cold, its warm and sounds great for all styles
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
yeah. but i think changing the humbucker will give you better results. try a paf pro or somethinglike that. its not that hot, not that cold, its warm and sounds great for all styles

If I were to do that, I'd go for a Seymour Duncan JB or Pearly Gates.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

For Santana, wouldn't you need a humbucker in the neck?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Maybe check out the Lonestar Strat. Comes stock with a pearly gates and the has the, slightly more rockin, rosewood neck.
Quote by esp1234
but I'm afraid it won't do led zeppelin, acdc, santana, etc as well as a guitar with humbuckers.
Well, Santana does use a neck humbucker quite often, so you're a bit stuffed there - though you could always use the Strat neck and middle pickups together (usually referred to as pickup selector position #4), it won't be a full humbucker tone, but it's not a million miles away either.

AC/DC is almost exclusively played with the bridge humbucker, which of course an HSS strat has.

Led Zeppelin too, you'd be using the bridge more anyway, and while the neck won't be perfect, using the neck and middle pickups together will again be 'close enough'. Also Jimmy Page did use coil splits fairly often, so the single coils might even be an advantage.

The problem you will have with AC/DC and Zeppelin tones is the fact they mostly use heavier mahogany-bodied guitars with set necks, rosewood fretboards and a fixed bridge, whereas your Strat will have a bolt-on neck, a tremolo bridge, and will be made of alder, a much brighter-sounding wood, and I would bet probably a maple fretboard which is also going to brighten the tone. You actually couldn't get much different.

I think there's two solutions:
1) get an HSH strat, HH strat (those aren't made anymore, but you can sometimes find used ones for sale), or modifiy the strat to be HSH (this should only require a new pickguard, since most Fender Strats are pre-routed to take a neck humbucker). This will give you those Santana neck tones and be an improvement for Zeppelin too, though it most likely won't make much difference to your AC/DC playing. It also doesn't solve the issue of the guitar itself being inherently very different...

2) Scrap the Strat idea entirely, and get something like a solid super-Strat (Santana), an SG (AC/DC) or a Les Paul (Led Zeppelin). You could have coil-taps installed using push/pull pots (additionally, Seymour Duncan and Swineshead make humbucker pickups designed specifically for coil-tapping, so if you really do want true singlecoil tones, those are the way to go), or just in super-Strats alone there are so many different types made you're bound to find something that would suit you.

Personally, I'd go for something like a Kramer or ESP HSH mahogany-bodied super-Strat.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Just get hotrails for the middle and neck...
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
It will do anything. It's my go to metal guitar currently.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Actually Yeah I think I'm just gonna go with the HSS fender. I wanna try out something new.

Question, If I use a fuzz while using the Humbucker at the bridge, will it sound muddy? I don't know which Pup selection hendrix used. (neck, middle, bridge..?)

EDIT: Also, how bad would it go out of tune if I used the tremolo on the guitar?

I don't even think i'll be using it but just in case
Last edited by esp1234 at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by esp1234
^^
yes, but it's only on the bridge. I guess I can adjust to just that

Well most rock is done on the bridge pickup anyway...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
aw dont buy a MIM strat for 400 bucks. for the love of christ.
buy yourself a decent guitar to suit you needs better. maybe an epi. or an ESP LTD eclipse
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884
this used.
maybe an epiphone sg or les paul. no not a strat. i made the same mistake as you might. dont waste 400 on a strat.fender stuff are way overpirces.maybe get one for like 300 bucks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by esp1234
Actually Yeah I think I'm just gonna go with the HSS fender. I wanna try out something new.

Question, If I use a fuzz while using the Humbucker at the bridge, will it sound muddy? I don't know which Pup selection hendrix used. (neck, middle, bridge..?)

EDIT: Also, how bad would it go out of tune if I used the tremolo on the guitar?

I don't even think i'll be using it but just in case

yeah. dont think about using the trem. people dont think so, but it will go out of tune every single time. when you use it, you have to push it back into tune. trust me, i have one, i threw away my trem bar. it takes up space in my room
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
H/S/S = Humbucker and two singles.
It'll play Zeppelin and AC/DC and all that fine, but if you want the optimal tone for that stuff, I'd recommend a PRS, a Les Paul, or maybe even a H/S/H Strat.
The humbucker in the neck is really useful for getting that smooth Santana tone.

But, for $400, that's a really good deal.
I'd take it, because for a few hundred (if you needed) you could get it routed for a neck humbucker too.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult