So I was originally thinking of getting the Vintage Modern 2466 located here.

However, I was browsing about and came across the JCM 2000 head with Dual Channels. I like that option of having 2 channels, something that JCM 800's don't have nor do the Vintage Moderns.

I'm open to any other Marshall Head you might recomend me, or any Tube Head for that matter.

I like to play 80's Hard Rock (GNR-esq) and also some Maiden, Mettalica, Megadeth, and some newer stuff. I also like to jam to some harder stuff occasionally such as Slayer and Opeth. But I have an Ibanez Toneblaster for that.

I plan on Triple By Passing my Fender to my Marshall to my Ibanez and run the clean on the Fender as one channel, run the Hard Rock on the Marshall as another channel, and run the Ibanez as the heavy channel.

Thanks.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

If you can crank the amp, try getting a Metro 1968 Super Lead. Cranked, it can give you all of those tones, you just have to dial 'em in!
Any more help?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

I'm guessing a dsl is your best bet. I tried the JVM and it sounded good, but there are WAY too many knobs on the control panel.
dont get the jvm its awful

honestly if your just gonna a/b the amps get a used jcm 800 or 900

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
dont get the jvm its awful

honestly if your just gonna a/b the amps get a used jcm 800 or 900

The JVM is not a bad amp.

What's your max range? And would a single channel do you?

I would look into a Matamp GT1, a Soldano Avenger, an Orange Rockerverb or Thunderverb 50, or a JCM 800.
Quote by imgooley
The JVM is not a bad amp.

What's your max range? And would a single channel do you?

I would look into a Matamp GT1, a Soldano Avenger, an Orange Rockerverb or Thunderverb 50, or a JCM 800.

the jvm prob is not

but from my experience it is

its just TOO loud so you'll never get a chance to hear it cranked (best thing in the world is a cranked tube amp) when i plkayed it i felt the "marshall" distortion was just too MG like

idk try it out and get the 50 watt model if anything

personaly i think you should get a single channel

but if you want adual defintely get the orange rockerverb 50

fender cleans + marshall distortion = life

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The JVM is quite nice. The Vintage Modern is awful. They're not the same amp. Sounds like you tried a Vintage Modern, timzee117.

Personally, I think if you're considering buying a real Marshall head, brand new, you should just buy a Splawn.

The Splawn Quickrod will cover everything you need, from AC/DC, to 80's metal, to GnR, to Metallica. Seriously. It's very versatile.
It sounds how Marshall should sound. Much better value than the JCM 2000 or Vintage Modern series.
Max Range would be around 1400 dollars. But I could swing another bit. My dad said he might match me one-third if I can bring him 1400 cash. So maybe another 470 dollars or so. So about 1900 dollars max.

I suppose a single channel could work. But then I would have to triple bypass. If I can manage a double channel, than I just have to run 2 amps. Because the distortion on my Ibanez is quite up to par, but wouldn't cut a Marshall. If I can double channel, then I can run a Marshall clean channel, then run the hot channel. Then have the extreme distortion on my Ibanez.

The problem with the JVM is that it's not so much a bad amp, but it's not a tonal specific amp. Kind of like the Spider Series of the Tubes. There is just to much on there for one amp to have. So instead of one or two really nice tones, you just get 16 sub par tones.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Aug 24, 2008,
Splawn, it will sound good for everything you want and crush that awful ibanez for br00talz.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I seriously recommend the Thunderverb. Awesome amp, it is.

The thing is, though, you'd probably have enough gain if you grab a Thunderverb or a Quickrod or an Avenger. For a bit more oomph, throw a boost in front.

But the Thunderverb is a 2 channel amp with an awesome clean tone.
JVM, TSL, DSL, MG and VM are all disgusting if you ask me. Go with any pre '85 marshall and you'll never need another amp. Best for you is a 100watt JCM 800.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
The VM is ok, I mean, if you can pick it up for $1300 or so, its not a horrible deal. Splawns are a good option if you like the hot rodded Marshall sound. A Metropoulos is the best option for the most accurate Marshall plexi tones, but it will cost you almost twice as much as the VM.

A lot of people on this board don't like it. I personally don't think its anything really special, but its not that bad either. I like it more than the JVM.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 24, 2008,
the metro amps though are worth it, they're hand made and George has been doing it for years.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
budda superdrive
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
orange and traynor are supposeldy good for marshally crunch

i think traynor do heads anyway
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
A used JCM 800 head would nail all those 80's rock/metal tones such as Megadeth, Metallica, etc.