I made a thread a while ago about how i was thinking of getting a Digi 002-003 Rack to which i was suggested to look at a PrSsonus FP10. And i defly looked into it.

Ive recently just gained £300.....good owl GCSE's

But anyway i was thinking of getting the PreSonus FireStudio (decided it was better than the FP10 after some research) and buy the Digi some other time.

But the thing im wondering about is that if i buy a Digi 003 Rack in later life and have pro tools LE running will this completely render the PreSonus useless? Or is it as long as you have 1 Pro Tools supported interface that works can others like the PreSonus still be used with it?

Just any help wanted to clear up this wonder im having.

Cheers
Pro Tools is very finicky with what interfaces can work with it...I'm pretty sure that if it isn't Digi Design, it won't work. Why not go with Cubase, then daisy chain another Presonus?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
F pro tools,dont fall into the hype that its better just because everyone says its the "industry standard".
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Pro Tools is very finicky with what interfaces can work with it...I'm pretty sure that if it isn't Digi Design, it won't work. Why not go with Cubase, then daisy chain another Presonus?

Hmmm i may look into daisy chaining the PreSonus' as you said, i'm not sure but do studios often do that...switching between Pro Tools and Cubase depending on the interface they want to use?

Quote by PsychomanZ
F pro tools,dont fall into the hype that its better just because everyone says its the "industry standard".

Hmm i suppose your right, but to be fair isnt the reason pro tools is "best" is because the interfaces that only work with it are often high quality like the Digi 00X for example rather than ppl using low end interfaces with audicity or something then complaing its not good.

Anyway i think its rubbish that u couldnt use other interfaces on pro tools IF you owned a Pro tools supported interface, just for those who really want to use it.

Also i'm just looking to get the most professional interface for home recording atm.....and i do have a good budget of about £1000 for the interface that's why i was looking at he Digi 003 Rack, but i like what i hear about the PreSonus. So is there any other interfaces you people can suggest?
Last edited by Axe Samurai at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Axe Samurai
Hmmm i may look into daisy chaining the PreSonus' as you said, i'm not sure but do studios often do that...switching between Pro Tools and Cubase depending on the interface they want to use?

It doesn't make much sense either...that said, switching between one DAW and another has been done before it's just that it's pretty inefficient. The sound quality out of both systems is professional, and a large amount of high quality (Waves, UAD, iZotope) plugins can work with both Cubase and Pro Tools. That said, IMHO, there is little reason to go with Pro Tools until you hit HD, which is what the professionals actually use...though by then you are probably remortgaging your house or selling the car for your studio. What I just showed you is only for the software and plugin cards...

As for what studios do...it depends. Some have a large analog console (sometimes Mackie, better ones have Rupert Neves and Soundcrafts), while others have a collection of boutique preamps in order to extract different aspects of certain sounds, then they run them to high end analog-digital converters. It's this combination of high end equipment, proper microphone technique, and a good recording environment that result in a professional sound.

Tell me what stuff you have now then we can see where we can go...don't judge based on names alone.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Fast_Fingers
That said, IMHO, there is little reason to go with Pro Tools until you hit HD, which is what the professionals actually use...though by then you are probably remortgaging your house or selling the car for your studio.

LAWL, To be fair i think everyone has there own love towards the layouts of particular software's and i am somewhat intrigued by Pro Tools layout, But yeah id agree that it may not be worth it unless going HD but I'm willing to pay well for a good interface and as Digi 00X's come "free" (which i doubt its 100%) its kinda just a bonus to receive the software i like the layout of.

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Tell me what stuff you have now then we can see where we can go...don't judge based on names alone.

Ehhh atm i'm very basic. But im now decided to up my game and take it serious (starting with buying a good interface)

I have 2 mics which i love

Audio Technica ATM650 (Hypercardioid Dynamic for the amp) and a
Audio Technica ATM410 (Cardioid Dynamic for the vocals)

I have them plugged into an Alesis Multimix 8 USB which is very annoying when i recorded 2 friends of mine (singer and guitarist) and didn't have control over mixing each track, which is why i'm really looking for firewire interface now.

I also have a Line6 GuitarPort though IMHO its so S**T.

I have no monitors :/ I plan to save up for a good pair once i've got the good interface. Along with more mics and blah blah list goes on.

So like back on topic I'm just looking for the best interface i can get so any opinions other than PreSonus or Digi?
Well, how many inputs do you plan on getting in the end? I'm thinking that you'll probably want to get direct boxes...so it's two inputs per guitarist/bassist. If you want to know why, read the parts about reamping here. I think the Presonus Firestudio Project and Art Tubefire 8 (a professional reviewer thought it sounded as good as a RME 800) are probably the best for the money.

If you have a Mac, you may also want to try Digital Performer and look at MOTU's interfaces. The software can imitate the Pro Tools interface but it also has far better MIDI control (plus no track limitations from the LE/M Powered versions) and nicer stock plugins. I've heard of upgrades for their equipment that could allow them to compete with Apogees...
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Well, how many inputs do you plan on getting in the end?

Man i've no idea how far it'll go.....though if i was to guess i'd probably say i'd want to be able to capture a full band (Drums,Guitars,Bass and Vocals) as soon a possible. So the more i think about it i might take up your advice on daisy chaining the PreSonus' as it seems the most logical idea.

So thanks for that and your other advice.