So my friend bought this guitar used from some guy at where he works, he has been telling everyone and trying to convince me that it is a top of the line Fender Custom Shop and was made in Korea because they are better than the US... So I was just wondering if it was a good guitar, it doesn't look to bad but sounds horrible after playing it through his "amazing" Marshall MG (which is somehow really good because it has a closed back???) Also he says its really good because it's light, which means that it is made out of really good wood.

And I was just wondering if its amazing.

Here it is:

http://
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Well I know that he told me that it is acctually faster to play with only 3 fingers, rather than using your pinkey.
Lets jump in a pool

It's looks good from the spec, but it's nowhere near the top of Fender's range of Teles.

Edit: ^ It usually is.

A Fender Custom Shop guitar made ion Korea.
I didn't even know Fender had a factory in Korea.

Yeah, how much did he pay?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
$400 it's used.

^^How can 3 be faster than 4?
Lets jump in a pool

Light wood is a good thing with ash bodies (that is swamp ash right?), it sounds much better. Don't know how true that is for other woods. Bearing in mind that it's hard to sound good through an MG, he's still probably bs-ing you. There are some good factories in Korea, but definitely no custom shops and besides, the Fender custom shop is in California. Most custom shops are in the US or Europe. It's certainly not a bad guitar, maybe even a very good guitar, but it's not all he's cracking it up to be.
EDIT: Mahogany w/ flame maple top? Well, mahogany tends to be on the heavy side... anyway, it's a $600 dollar guitar. Draw your own conclusions.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Aug 24, 2008,
Yeah, he got ripped.

Also, that guitar is supposed to have a Mahogany body. That's the heaviest commonly used solidbody guitar wood.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by I am wet
$400 it's used.

Your pinky is much weaker than your other fingers, so it takes longer to put it down onto the fingerboard and take it off again than it does to just go from the ring finger to the index for the next note.

Also, you're rarely playing 4 notes per string in a run.
Quote by I am wet
$400 it's used.

Opinions are divided on that one. Those favoring 3 bring up the fact that the pinky tends to raise way up off the fretboard when it's not in use, though good discipline overcomes that fairly quickly. Those who favor 4 fingers talk about 4 notes per string, greater reach, versatility, etc. I favor the 4 finger approach personally, as do most advanced guitarists afaik. (Not claiming to be an advanced guitarist though...)
My pinky is definatly not weak i use it all the time
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by blue_strat
Your pinky is much weaker than your other fingers, so it takes longer to put it down onto the fingerboard and take it off again than it does to just go from the ring finger to the index for the next note.

Also, you're rarely playing 4 notes per string in a run.

Good, discplined, practice can make a mockery of that issue and if you leave your pinky out of practice then you will probably find you can't use it if you need to. Why limit your options? Not to mention that this discussion seems to be leaving chord work out of the equation completely.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Good, discplined, practice can make a mockery of that issue and if you leave your pinky out of practice then you will probably find you can't use it if you need to. Why limit your options? Not to mention that this discussion seems to be leaving chord work out of the equation completely.

I said "usually". Most guitarists don't choose to discipline their playing like that.

And he referred to playing fast. That made me think of runs for some reason, not chords. Though I know there's plenty of quick chordwork possible and done.
Quote by blue_strat
I said "usually". Most guitarists don't choose to discipline their playing like that.

And he referred to playing fast. That made me think of runs for some reason, not chords. Though I know there's plenty of quick chordwork possible and done.

All right then, lets look at this from the other angle: Look at any fast guitarist you like. Now find me one who doesn't use their pinky.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
All right then, lets look at this from the other angle: Look at any fast guitarist you like. Now find me one who doesn't use their pinky.

This isn't Advanced Techniques. Try not to hijack a thread just because someone mouths technical blasphemy. I know that using the pinky improves your playing to no end, and I know all about the techniques of shredders, most if not all of which use all four fingers.

But minus the technique practice and disciplining, ie where most guitarists start out, the pinky is generally more a hindrance than a help when it's a question of speed.
Quote by blue_strat
But minus the technique practice and disciplining, ie where most guitarists start out, the pinky is generally more a hindrance than a help when it's a question of speed.

On the other hand if you don't practice with it to begin with it'll never be any good; vicious cycle of non-use so by the time you actually get to being anywhere near fast it'll hold you back having not used it.

Anyway, back OT: I've played the Fender FMT HH Tele and loved it; it's on my GAS list to be honest.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Your "friend" needs to lay his head down in the street on the highway.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Yeah, he got ripped.

Also, that guitar is supposed to have a Mahogany body. That's the heaviest commonly used solidbody guitar wood.

Strats aren't mahogany, though there is a mahogany version. Alder and ash are the standard woods of choice on fenders.

The chances of Fender opening a custom shop in Korea are about the same as finding a great sounding mg.
Quote by MAYNARD
Strats aren't mahogany, though there is a mahogany version. Alder and ash are the standard woods of choice on fenders.

The chances of Fender opening a custom shop in Korea are about the same as finding a great sounding mg.

This is a Tele, not a Strat.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by MAYNARD

Unfortunately for you this is actually a more rock-oriented version of a tele, so it has 2 humbuckers, a flamed maple top and mahogany body.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Def. no custom shop.

Just sounds like bratty kid that doesn't know the facts and likes to brag.

And my pinky is probably my fastest finger.
You'll need to strength your pinky if you ever what to become a very fast guitarist
Awesome guitar..It's as special edition. not really true fender custom shop...but amazing quality for a guitar in that price range. it's more SG than tele with set neck, humbuckers and mahogany body... and it's light as your friend said. $400 used is the average price on EBAY.

Made in Korea, the quality is top notch. No blemishes... You won't find a better guitar for the money. Now you can drool over mine. I updated the pickups.

Hmm his doesn't have the black around the edge, and they guy that had it before him upgraded it with seymours, but they look the same other than that, he said its a 2003, so maybe they changed they how they look, what year is that?
Lets jump in a pool

same guitar, different color... mine's in the black cherry burst. your friend has the crimson red.
o ok.
Lets jump in a pool