I've just learned that I've been offered the chance to play solo for my work Christmas party on December 13th. This will be my first gig unless I magically join a band before then. I have a decent (but very large) acoustic, and all my electrics so I don't know which I'm going to use yet. The only song I know for a fact I want to do is Fairytale of New York by the Pogues. Do you have any other suggestions? I'll need about 40 minutes worth of material (two 20 minute sets.) I've been listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra on a 95 degree August day trying to find cool songs.

Thanks

-Drew
if you have a band behidn you and its the rigth crowd you should do "Oh Come All Ye FAithful" i nthe tune of "Were Not Gunna Take IT" by Twisted Sister like they did on their christmas album
Heavy metal versions of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and "Carol of the Bells."

You know you want to.
listen to some gary hoey
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by drewfromutah
THAT is beautiful.

it gets my teary every time

Steve Vai also did a cover of it if you need some ideas of how to arrange it on guitar and want to shred it up a little bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAKK_sSOuUw (not him but a damn good cover of the arrangement)
depends on your level. But i would play canon rock. Sounds christmasy and is so fun to play
Quote by FireandFlames
Anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Thread over.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by FireandFlames
Anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

+1

seen them in concert for the last three years. pretty awesome
I dont know why, but I love listening to Led Zeppelin IV in the winter, try something off of that album.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by di$TOrTed
+1

seen them in concert for the last three years. pretty awesome

I'd go see them if it wasn't like $90+ a ticket >_<
do you play jazz or some sorta stuff? i might suggest white christmas.

will you be playing for a christmas dinner event? wow...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by km-r
do you play jazz or some sorta stuff? i might suggest white christmas.

will you be playing for a christmas dinner event? wow...

It's a pretty typical office party as far as I know. There's a buffet, lots of alcohol, and it's at a lodge style thing on a Friday evening.

I can't really shred yet, but with the amount of time I practice, I should be able to by Christmas. I'd love to do that Vai cover of the Charlie Brown song.
Greensleeves on your acoustic... maybe toward the end of the second set? I had a version that sounded really pretty but I can't find it now. It speeds up somewhere near the end and it sounded amazing, started using full chords - I think it was played on a classical, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Jingle Bells, Silent Night, Hark The Herald Angels Sing! Where's the classics when you need them!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero