I just got back from my local guitar store , with a couple questions that i didnt think i could run by the staff.

i play mainly acoustic , so I'm usually roaming around the small acoustic room in search of my first 12 string

i play a fair amount of 12 strings , and my callouses(sp?) get absolutely shredded over the course of playing

I figure "extra string is thinner , and therefore , I will get use to this"

but even alot of the 6 string acoustics I play , it still feels like either the strings are too rough , or the fretboard feels to dry , but the result is inevitable bleeding

its happened to some electrics i play , but never anything other than a rosewood fretboard feels that dry (not all rosewoods)

since my only equipment has a combined value of about $250(consists of 1 epi special les paul and an acoustic from a garage sale) , and that i usually play things about $300+ when im at sam ash , I dont know if its just something im going to have to deal with

Help is mucho appreciated

(P.S. - Why dont acoustics ever have maple necks?)

EDIT : I live in arizona , is this a factor?
Last edited by SeanNapier at Aug 24, 2008,
I don't think I see a question in there except for the last bit which I can't help you with, sorry.
EDIT: Ok, I think I get it. Get lighter strings as the guy below me mentioned, and maybe check your fingers to see if they have too much tension while your playing.
Last edited by dk2 at Aug 24, 2008,
i would try a fresh set of light strings on one. maybe tune it down to d# or D and try it then. a lot of people tune the high G string (tighest on a 12 string) to the same octave as the low by using the same guage and therefore tension or even remove it entirley. ledbelly played his 12 string dropped down to C or C# on many of his recordings.
I live in Peoria, I've been to Sam Ash a couple times and they have the worst service. The guitar selection is pretty limited as well.

maybe try some EXP light strings?