I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now. About 8-9 months of that being electric, the first few months acoustic only. I have taken lessons on and off, but not at the moment, football really interferes.

Anyways, I'm 15, and I suck. Any time I go to guitar center I see 13 year olds just shredding, and it depresses me.

I am a bit knowledgeable about music theory, and I can read music.

I want to play sort of blues based music. I'd say my biggest influences are Slash, John Frusciante, Eric Clapton, Joe Perry, Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, and people like that .

I play an Epiphone Les Paul if it makes a difference. When I get the money and skills, I would love to get a Stratocaster.

How long did it take you guys to get really good? I can't solo worth crap.

I'd say that my skill level right now would be that of a rhythm guitarist in a garage band. But I really want to play lead.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
If you want good chops, listen to the people you like and try to imitate their style. Not so much what notes they're playing but more technique stuff like, when are they hammering-on, when are they sliding, do they use a lot of vibrato?

Maybe learn some blues or pentatonic scales and just try playing around with them. Just try to fit in some licks in the pentatonic box and play around.
Saint Louis Blues
concentrate on guitar playing.

Look up numerous guitarists for inspiration.

Practice as much as you can.

Play challenging songs to challenge yourself.
Quite frankly, I hate to say it, but, years of playing is the only true way to get better. For now, go with The Picker said. Learn blues scales and use them as much as you can. Really explore the blues style, but don't get lost in it. Branch into other types of music too. That's about all I can tell you.

By the way, for me to get good, i'd say it took about 3 years of continuous, intensive lessons.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
But, Ive read of so many famous guitarists becoming famous so young. Slash joined Guns when he was 19, Zakk Wylde joined Ozzy when he was 20. Slash picked up guitar at 15 and had his first band by 16.

If it were possible, I would spend every waking moment playing, but I'm kind of being forced to play football.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I wouldn't worry about getting good so quick. Just progress as much as you can. Practice as much as you can, and never quit!
Frusciante joined the Peppers at 18, but he also would practice almost 15 hours a day. He dropped out of high school at 16 to pursue his music. He didn't just want to play guitar, he just did. He wasn't preoccupied with much (besides partying I think), all he did was live music.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
But, Ive read of so many famous guitarists becoming famous so young. Slash joined Guns when he was 19, Zakk Wylde joined Ozzy when he was 20. Slash picked up guitar at 15 and had his first band by 16.

If it were possible, I would spend every waking moment playing, but I'm kind of being forced to play football.

One thing you have to remember though, is you arent them. Everybody progresses at different speeds.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Slash and those guys are obviously a little extra gifted naturally in the music department. I practice 5 hours a day and notice improvement daily, but to get to that level THAT fast, you have to be really, really special. That's not saying you can't get there, but you're still a kid. Give it time.