I have a few years under my belt now after playing with a bunch of metal bands and doing a few shows, i feel like ive gotten my chops and timing down. so i just joined a band with a female singer which is new to me, and they want to do like alternative rock/ pop **** lol. (think paramore) now, ive never done this before but it seems like a good experience. So im guessing its just a bunch of drop d cord patterns with the other guitar player playing an octave higher with a few melodies over the top and a few beak downs. Im kind of a metal head lol, would that be a good way to look at it? any advice for playing this kind of music would be helpful
probably no breakdowns.
just play power chords that you think you could sing over if you had too.
so stay away from gallopping, tremolo picking, basically all the cool **** that makes metal metal.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by impeachpedro10
probably no breakdowns.
just play power chords that you think you could sing over if you had too.
so stay away from gallopping, tremolo picking, basically all the cool **** that makes metal metal.

Sadly, this man speaks the truth.
Creator of the Llamastack

If you play solely metal, you won't be very "versatile"later on. My advice is go ahead and do it, you'll have experiance playing with a female singer and doing rhythm other than metal rhythm. Learn from them, play clean, just get a feel for it. Listening and playing music are two totally different things. I don't like blues much, but in a jam setting that's one of the first things I go for, guitar wise.

And just because you may not like their music doesn't mean you couldn't have fun, sometimes there is no need for tremolo picking or heavily distorted riffs, just kinda do your own thing. I like to remember that less is more. I know you probably know all this, but maybe you needed a refresher after playing bone crushing riffs and searing leads this entire time. Or perhaps not.

Either way, have fun and good luck.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
err wel my advice is to look at a few paramore tabs or
maybe the used
my chemical romance
whatever the people in the band like or want to sound like

check out the kind of styles and well see what you think.

you could also see if you could add a hint of metal to their music by making up a few riffs with a hint of metal in them to include in a song
What said above is true. Ray Toro from MCR usually plays Brain May style solos.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.