My father bought this cheap body. Its a national guitar (Argentina), 30 years old made all of one piece Cedar. It has a lot of space for controls.

So my question is
What do you think would be better:
Strat controls(5 way switch) or Les Paul controls (3 way switch)?

Note that it has space for 3 Microphones. Any combination: HHH, HSH, HSS, SSS

And another thing what can I put on the top space of the guitar, I was thinking about a kill switch, but only occupies very little space. I was thinking of onboard effects do you think I have space?

Anyways thanks for your comment

1. microphones =/= pickups.
syntax aside,

i think that guitar needs loads of work.

sanding, routing, and replacement of hardware to say the least, not to mention the lack of neck. if you're bent on finishing this to a very playable state, to where it draws away from the awkward shape, then do it, but if you're gonna let it fall short, then it'll probably be more of a pain than, say, that purple body it's on top of.
------

Shwiggity.
that is a very strange looking body and i must say that i am jealous of your find. personally if you have the original pickups id use them since you are going to have to route most of the middle body away so you can drop in some pick ups and mount a pickguard or something, i can think of another way to et around the holes. i guess you could dowel them if you are planning on refinishing it. id also attempt to find a bridge that fits over the bridge cavity so you dont have some odd space, but you could once again just put a pick guard over it and put in some weird switch or LED's or something. The neck pocket looks very long. maybe you could build a custom neck for it? or maybe you couldhide teh extra space that might be left over with a pickguard.

tl;dr the solution is overutilizing pickguards
Well I have a neck, And yes its gonna take a little work smoothing out. Sorry here in argentina we dont have a differnt name for Pups, we just call them the guitar's microphones.

the shape is akward (Strat-Firebird), but has a lot of space. The purple body is not ours, its from the shop. im posting the a picture of the neck

It was broken but know repaired.
Im gonna do all the wood works so Any SUGgestions for electronics
Quote by paul banks
that is a very strange looking body and i must say that i am jealous of your find. personally if you have the original pickups id use them since you are going to have to route most of the middle body away so you can drop in some pick ups and mount a pickguard or something, i can think of another way to et around the holes. i guess you could dowel them if you are planning on refinishing it. id also attempt to find a bridge that fits over the bridge cavity so you dont have some odd space, but you could once again just put a pick guard over it and put in some weird switch or LED's or something. The neck pocket looks very long. maybe you could build a custom neck for it? or maybe you couldhide teh extra space that might be left over with a pickguard.

tl;dr the solution is overutilizing pickguards

Yep, im filling the space of the original bridge (dissapeared) with cedar wood. the neck pocket is gonna be compatibilized to a neck by the luthier, in total lets say body and neck plus the original pickup 70 dollars, 200 pesos which is quite cheap here, (a new squier costs 500 dollars, Affinity)

and yes im routing the middle thing there, the space for controls is gonna be bigger than my strat.

My father wants to leave it wood color, Sand it smooth it, and then clear.
well by the way that neck looks, you're not gonna have 3 strings on that before it snaps again.

you'll need so much more on this thing i'd be deciding whether i'd be spending my time on this or finding one with more than a slight chance of turning out legit.

but that's only my eyes on this spot.
------

Shwiggity.
I think you should make it HSH w/ a Strat configuration (5-way switch). Great find, too, although you may want to reshape the body a little. The way it looks now is that it has pretty bad neck access.

EDIT: Took another look. Doesn't seem like you'll be able to shape it much more than it is without having to fill in the cavities.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you don't finish this I want that body.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
:P fine, I could do nice things with that body.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Invader Jim
^^^

Yeah, "los microfonos de las guitarras", we call them that way. Learn spanish then you will see its not crazy calling the pups microphones.

Anyways.

Ill soon post more pictures. The guitar was painted surfgreen. And My father made a pickguard out of wood. Painted white. He also added an F-Hole.

One tiny question: To get that hard material finish I got Polyurethane. With just one thin coat im done?

EDIT: Rust Oleum Polyurethane, Spray can
ohh pictures now!
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by divinorum69
\Note that it has space for 3 Microphones. Any combination: HHH, HSH, HSS, SSS

Fail!!

yeah looks like my grandmas old wrinkles but it was cheap i can tell...

oh SH*T what happened to the NECK!! AHHHH

Just buy a new one...

yeah can't help you man... you got a downsyntrom guitar on your hands... poor... poor... are you poor?
Gear:
Squire Hot Rails Stratocaster
Dean MXL (for Sale)
Marshall DFX 100 Amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Vox Wah
Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
That's one sick guitar. Where do you people (divinorum69 and others ) find these crapped out guitars, btw? Just sitting around? Sounds like an obvious question, but I'd kill for a beat up piece of crap from god knows when to work on from time to time and come out with something totally original.
JDizzle: I got all mine via "wheelin' and dealin' ".

I wouldn't recommend wheelin' OR dealin'.

Vintage no-names are apparantly easy to get in small towns like mine. Just look at my profile gear pics and you'll see.

edit: Damn it. I wanted the pups, too.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by Bingt
how do you reach the 22nd?

A: It's not a shred guitar - most people don't usually have to get up to the very highest fret.
B: You just bumped a 6 month thread to ask a pointless question, you idiot.
Rock Pig is right, so...

*reported* for close, PLEASE LOOK AT THE DATE BEFORE YOU POST
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.