Ok so i made the stupid decision of buying a 120 watt bugera 333xl (nice amp btw) and i was wondering, apart from buying an attenuator like one of those thd hotplates, is there anyway to get a good tone without absolutely blowing everyones eardrums. I dont think i can pull the tubes coz that would only bring it down to 60 watts.. create problems, and not even lower the volume that much. So yeah, wondering what options i have.
earplugs.

just go with a weber attenuator. cheap and effective.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Turn it down. Pull tubes. Get an attenuator.

If you want a cranked tube tone you're probably better off returning it if you can and buying something else or buying an attenuator.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
set up everything as you like, then simply turn the nob that says "master volume" down.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
They'll just wear out the tubes faster. As long as you aren't leaving your amp on ten for hours on end it shouldn't hurt your amp. Just make sure you have everything set to the proper impedance and all the cables are plugged in right.
There isn't really a risk with the attenuator. The thing is that you would need a very high rated attenuator. Somewhere around 180-200w rating. This will bring it down to usable volumes.
Sorry im completely ignorant with attenuators but why would i need a 200w rated one if my amp is only 120
Quote by end_citizen
There isn't really a risk with the attenuator. The thing is that you would need a very high rated attenuator. Somewhere around 180-200w rating. This will bring it down to usable volumes.

You could get by with a lower powered attenuator if you pull a couple tubes as well.

Quote by doommaker
Sorry im completely ignorant with attenuators but why would i need a 200w rated one if my amp is only 120

Tube amps are rated for clean wattage. When a tube amp distorts it puts out more wattage.
Just get earplugs. They help Tremendously with singing, its like holding your hand to your ear ya know? I swore off earplugs for so long. But now I just play louder XD Its pretty sick my neighbor is a huge metal head so he doesnt complain at all.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by Jammin'
set up everything as you like, then simply turn the nob that says "master volume" down.

that doesnt really work well with these tube amps. They don't sound that great turned down and even turned down they are still pretty loud. You have to hit that certain spot until it sounds great. THD might be your only option here.
I'd take a weber over a thd any day. They're cheaper and have more features.
I have a 6262 with a Hotplate and its not going to tame it that much....
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Get a THD hotplate or another form of attenuator. I'm thinking about picking one up, but my amp just crapped out on me so I have to get Bugera to replace it and the email link on their own damn website doesn't work. I'm having to contact them through MYSPACE. Not even kidding. I'm not too happy with the QC, but I love the amp. Wish it was about half the wattage too though, even just 100w would be nice, 120w is too much, but it was the only amp in my price range with all the features I wanted so I had to lol.
if you want the tone of driven tubes, the only way to get that at reasonable volumes is an attenuator.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
hey, listen up.

if you're getting an attenuator...
you don't have to attenuate your amp fully.

say your amp sounds great around 3 or 4, set it to that, and use the attenuator to take it down to a reasonable level.

it seems like some people who aren't familiar with them think it's best to have your amp on "10" and have the powertubes driving like crazy.

though some people might like the sound, it's most likely going to have much of the real tone sucked out by attenuating it so hard. AND your tubes will wear out MUCH faster.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^Exactly. And us with old stock power tubes aren't happy when our precious tubes burn out .
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Attenuation just leads to problems. (occub could tell you all about it).
The thing to do is "re-amp" your rig:
Use a Palmer PDI-03 as a dummy-load in place of your cab. This brings your speaker out down to line level. Take the line out of the PDI-03 into a seperate HiFi power amp or mixer. Not sure if the Weber or the THD can be used as a dummy load...but if they do...this is the best way to safely control the output of your amp...otherwise you'll either be replacing tubes every other month, or has occub learned the hard way...you'll burn up your tubes so fast, you'll blow the fuse and possibly your tranformer.
ive heard of ways of setting up a volume pedal in certain amps fx loops dont know if it works tho.
The way I use my 120w tube amp at bedroom levels is by not using the power section of it. I plug the FX loop send into a small 65w solid state practice amp FX loop return.
I have a G-Major in between them and I can control the input & output levels with that.
This way I can crank my channel volume and still not bother any of my neighbours.
Be sure to either leave the amp on standby or connect a cab to your head otherwise you'll blow your output transformer and power tubes
It doesn't sound as good as with a proper cab ofcourse but I get a tight tube sound at very low levels.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
well what i personally like is my amp with the power amps at about 5 or 6 and the preamp tubes at around 4ish.

If i use an attenuator are they likely to die really really quick?
Quote by doommaker
well what i personally like is my amp with the power amps at about 5 or 6 and the preamp tubes at around 4ish.

If i use an attenuator are they likely to die really really quick?

they won't die quickly, but the will most likely die quicker because you're running them hotter.

but that's the sacrifice you make, it's no biggie.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

If you DO get an attenuator, there are better choices than a THD hotplate anyway.
Yeah I didn't mean THD was your only option in the sense of thats the only brand. I just meant an attenuator might be your only option here. There are some really really expensive ones out there. I'd probably go for the THD myself unless I found one better in the same price range. i wouldn't pay a load of cash for an attenuator. By the time you do that you can by yourself a nice solid state practice amp to play at low volumes and then use your tube amp for gigging and recording.