To anyone who has played both, is there a noticeable difference between the two? I want a Strat and if the Mexican one is good, I will be all over that. I've played both, but only fiddling for a few minutes in GC, so I can't really judge it too well.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Some of the mexican ones aren't bad, but not as good as american.

That's it in a nutshell.
American Strats have better pickups, better wood, better electronics, 22 frets, a 2 point vibrato, and rolled fingerboard edges.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
fender american strats are truly amazing i highly reccommend one

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

You get what you pay for. Honestly, American Strats are freaking wonderful, but I can't afford one =[

MIM strats are amazing for the price, and are very versatile. But it's a gamble that you may get a good one, or a bad one. MIA strats are just good quality overall.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
The good mexicans are as good as a medium american, i only buy mexicans cause of national pridebut i do try some before buying one, its like with fuzz faces
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
definately buy a mexican only if you have played it because it is definately a gamble.
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
when you take playability and tone into account, a MIA strat really isn't that much better than a pre-2006 MIM strat with new pickups installed.

however, from 2006 onwards fender started using crap quality necks on the MIMs.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it doesnt really matter wad year it is made in.
the difference is the quality of hardware and wood used.
If you pick a good mexican strat, it can be really good, but they're a hit or miss. Go through and play a heap of them before you make a choice. You can't really go wrong with and American strat, but it'd be good to try those out anyway.
Quote by Blompcube
when you take playability and tone into account, a MIA strat really isn't that much better than a pre-2006 MIM strat with new pickups installed.

however, from 2006 onwards fender started using crap quality necks on the MIMs.

Yay, mine's an '05.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Some models of MIMs are better than others. The higher end ones, (Classic Player models) have USA pickups in them, like '57/'62s and Custom '69 pickups in them, so they'll sound like the American Vintage ones. The wood on them aswell is better quality aswell.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Get a highway one strat, or lite ash, great value for money and much better than mexican standars, the classic series are worth a look too.
it's not so much the year as it is the specific guitar.

some american strat arent as good as others.
some mexican strats are better than others.

they made improvements to mexican strats in 06'. larger frets, bigger trem blocks, more shielding.

so some of these newer mexican strats rival the older ones.

but not always. my Mex strat is around 13yrs old now.
it's a good one. But i don't know if i would definately go for an old mex strat either, because it's really hard to find one that hasnt been taken apart a thousand times.
and let's face it, some guys are better techs than others.

keep in mind, there isnt really anything on a strat that can't be swapped out.

so most of the time, a mexican strat will be a better bargin.

you can buy one, you can upgrade to locking tuners, maybe get a new bridge pickup, and saddles, all for about $150 usd.

necks are typically better straight out of the box on an americal strat,
but finding a good used mexican strat, could mean saving hundreds.

there's nothing wrong with having an M in the serial number, if you know how to choose a good guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
1. no^
2. where it's assembled, isnt the only difference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Martin - that is twice now (at least that I've seen) where you state that. Can you provide some proof or a link that backs that up - because I don't think it's true.

I have an '05 MIM and couldn't be happier. I've played some MIA's (actually every time I go to GC) to see if I can feel a difference. They are nice and yes I wouldn't mind having one. Personally, I like the feel of the Standards better and as mentioned they 'can' be a tremendous value. On the HSS, a bridge pup swap is almost a must imo.

<flame protect>
Standard USA have a nitro neck.

Standard mex don't.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Yeah, but nitrocellulose finishes suck. I have two guitars which are essentially identical (two LPS), except one has a polyurethane finish, and one has a nitrocellulose finish. Nitro is all sticky and horrid, and I notice no "extra resonation". All I notice is a reason to charge more, and a much less damage-resistant finish.

*Equips flame shield*
so would you say that an American fender strat is better then a squire strat or a spectrum strat? I played my cousins spectrum strat.... looks JUST like the fender strat but cost like 80 USD brand new.... thats thing was horrible.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
^yes it very much is.

how something looks often has little to do with how it plays.

^^ yeah, ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so would you say that an American fender strat is better then a squire strat or a spectrum strat? I played my cousins spectrum strat.... looks JUST like the fender strat but cost like 80 USD brand new.... thats thing was horrible.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best