Alright i have a MESA F50 !!!!

and i cant really turn it up more than like 5% because i live in ahouse. So yestday i tried putting my RP-80 through it, with its pedal all the way down, and the FX to like 90%, and i noticed i could crank it like half way at an acceptable volume level.

Does this affect the tone? Does it damage tubes? Is this an authentic way of getting tube overdrive?
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, no, and no.

Yes! Phew!. SHlT!

So i guess an attenuator is the only way...
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by nathanma93
i cant really turn it up more than like 5% because i live in a house.

I'm glad you're not living in a cardboard box or something dude
Yup. Congrats on the amp, I'll put in my opinion on an attenuator and say get a weber. You can't beat the price or the features you can get on them. I've had my minimass for a while and it works extremely well. Hotplates and airbrakes are way overprice. Hell on the hotplates you can't even change the impedance.

I guess I should say it does affect tone. You're basically saturating the preamp which you could do just buy cranking the gain and turning the master down.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm glad you're not living in a cardboard box or something dude

Fine. A house with other people in it lol
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by nathanma93
Fine. A house with other people in it lol

I was just messing with you.

There is no way to get "real" cranked tone at low volumes... an attenuator will get you damn close but even the best of attenuators suck a little bit of your tone. Maybe you can send everyone else on vacation or something and just crank the amp and enjoy tonal bliss.
not exactly, if you like the tone you get so far with your RP-80, doesn't matter if it's not "authentic", point is you like the sound of it and that's all that matters
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I was just messing with you.

There is no way to get "real" cranked tone at low volumes... an attenuator will get you damn close but even the best of attenuators suck a little bit of your tone. Maybe you can send everyone else on vacation or something and just crank the amp and enjoy tonal bliss.

While this is true I found the treble boost on the webers works very well to alleviate some of that problem, though if you're anywher from 85% to 100% attenuation theres gonna be tone suckage no matter what.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not