Im looking for a guitar that plays grunge, punk, and classic rock, i was thinking between a tele and a mustang, but people told me i might be better off with the tele.

What do yall think?

I am on a budget so i was thinking between the 400-800 price range? Are these any good? Are they good for what I play?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
yes, i see u have a spider 3, thats ur brothers, whats ur amp situation?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

an epiphone g-400 would be great for punk classic rock and grunge. i noticed from your gear tag there that you dont have an amp but already have two guitars. maybe an amp would be a good investment. go tube and one more thing guitars dont play gruge punk or classic rock people do.
Quote by gtr_101
yes, i see u have a spider 3, thats ur brothers, whats ur amp situation?

My amp is a 15w version of the same amp, but in a few days im buying a roland cube 60w.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
an epiphone g-400 would be great for punk classic rock and grunge. i noticed from your gear tag there that you dont have an amp but already have two guitars. maybe an amp would be a good investment. go tube and one more thing guitars dont play gruge punk or classic rock people do.

The squier is complete and utter ****, it barely works anymore.

I was just looking into getting another electric in this price range.

Edit: With single coil pickups
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Will you people respond? It says there are 216 people viewing this forum so is it too much to ask for some advice?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I don't think a Tele would be good for grunge. For punk and classic rock, it'd be great. You can pretty much play grunge with anything that has no twang. Teles ARE twang, pretty much - extreme treble and mid.

You could certainly TRY, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I don't think a Tele would be good for grunge. For punk and classic rock, it'd be great. You can pretty much play grunge with anything that has no twang. Teles ARE twang, pretty much - extreme treble and mid.

You could certainly TRY, though.

I'll try it out in the store, I could always just use my G-400 for grunge, it plays that pretty well. If the mustangs are better than people say i might go for one of those instead too im not sure.

Like I said, im just trying to get a good single coil guitar that isnt a mexican strat. Everybody has a strat, I really dont care for the look of them either.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

I agree with this. I used one for my main axe a long time ago and if you (as in the TS) want a sound clip of my Epiphone G-400 in action, PM me.

it also depends on your amp as well. I always got some really sweet sounds out of Laney but those are probably a bit out of your price range.

EDIT: didn't read that you had a G-400. I just ran through a laney amp, a Boss DS-1 (pretty old one) and a small clone chorus. worked amazing.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by TheHamburglar

you might want to check out a strat too. go for either strat or tele.

if you mean grunge, like alice in chains, then i would recommend an sg.

Im already not gonna get a strat, and I have a G-400 so i think this would make a good combo.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Well I guess you could always do a pickup swap and get some stacks or rails for your Tele, but wouldn't that be defeating the point of getting a Tele anyway?

Who cares, that's what I did, and I love my new hot Tele. I love the look and feel of the Tele and that's all that matters, the pickups can always be changed and the amp can always be dialed to get the sound you want. I don't see why you shouldn't get a Tele, but it would require a little bit of work to get any real grunge sounds...
crazy talking animals
Quote by mrvile
Well I guess you could always do a pickup swap and get some stacks or rails for your Tele, but wouldn't that be defeating the point of getting a Tele anyway?

Who cares, that's what I did, and I love my new hot Tele. I love the look and feel of the Tele and that's all that matters, the pickups can always be changed and the amp can always be dialed to get the sound you want. I don't see why you shouldn't get a Tele, but it would require a little bit of work to get any real grunge sounds...

This is what I was thinking, Im going to get one and if it doesnt fit grunge, thats fine my g-400 does good, and if it turns out it doesnt suit me well in any genres i can just swap the pickups.

I love the look of them.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
yeah the seymour duncan hot rails is a good stacked pickup

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

HRs arent stacked they are rails, and they are pretty harsh in a tele.

dimarzio stacked singles seem to work a little better.

just an fyi.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I think ill get the tele when I get the money. May not be for a while though because my current priority is a new amp a roland cube 60. So far I have 320/400 dollars needed.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by TheHamburglar
don't listen to that guy who said you can't play grunge on a tele.
cobain used mustangs also had a tele or two, i played nirvana on a tele and it gave me that punchiness that most nirvana songs have.

i wouldn't recommend tele for punk. better off with a strat.
tele = good for grunge, classic rock, country, rockabilly, blues
strat = good for classic rock, blues, punk, surf, grunge

you might want to check out a strat too. go for either strat or tele.

if you mean grunge, like alice in chains, then i would recommend an sg.

EDIT: I missed what you said about the strat so forget about the strat.

Both guitars can do what the other can do just as well. It's really just based on the preference of sound or looks even. Both guitars do just about everything except high gain, but it is possible with a PUP swap and a high gained amp.
Thanks for all the help, anybody think id be making a bad choice with the tele?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^