I have a Peavey ultra 120 that I got a few weeks ago and I love it but it doesn't seem to be loud enough !!!

I am running it through an Avatar 2x12 with two vintage 30's to equal 120 watts. If I got a 4x12 it wouldnt matter right? Since it would only be pumping out 120 watts.

I tested it alot today. My main test was, activating the clean channel, turning up all volume on the clean channel and setting the master to 9/10. I rolled the volume on my guitar back a bit because it's a humbucker.

I strummed a chord, and it just was not loud. My walls were not shaking, but my dressers and some items were. It was not hurting my ears at all. I improved a little and just messed around and it was tolerable. I live in a pretty big neighborhood with lots of houses and I am not worried about disturbing them. The EQ on the clean was all 12 o clock(active eq).

Looking at the power tubes, all four of the 6L6 tubes were glowing. I have no idea if it's wrong with the amp. It's my first tube anything, but it seems like my Line 6 15 watt practice amp could match 25% of it's volume.. What should I do?
Do the ohms match?
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
A few things

1. It may just be thats its more pleasing to your ears. When I play through my Fender 15G I dont trun it up past 3 because its loud and bad. But when I play though my 40 watt blues deluxe I turn it halfway up before I realize, holy **** its loud.

2. Wattage is no like math. For example, 15watts is 75% as loud as 50watts. Its a rule of thumb that for an amp to be twice as loud it has to have 10 X more wattage. So a 120 watt tube amp (honesly more like 100 watts) is only about twice as loud as a ten watt tube amp.

So I would say that your amp is fine, also because the volume on your guitar is down a little will do much more then you think.

EDIT: I dont know if it helps but here is a chart decribeing wattage and volume.
40 watts is 94% as loud as 50 watts.
30 watts is 86% as loud as 50 watts.
25 watts is 81% as loud as 50 watts.
22 watts is 78% as loud as 50 watts.
20 watts is 76% as loud as 50 watts.
18 watts is 74% as loud as 50 watts.
15 watts is 70% as loud as 50 watts.
12 watts is 65% as loud as 50 watts.
10 watts is 62% as loud as 50 watts.
9 watts is 60% as loud as 50 watts.
8 watts is 56% as loud as 50 watts.
7 watts is 55% as loud as 50 watts.
6 watts is 53% as loud as 50 watts.
5 watts is 50% as loud as 50 watts.
4 watts is 47% as loud as 50 watts.
3 watts is 43% as loud as 50 watts.
2 watts is 38% as loud as 50 watts.
1 watt is 31% as loud as 50 watts.
3/4 watt is 28% as loud as 50 watts.
1/2 watt is 25% as loud as 50 watts.
1/4 watt is 20% as loud as 50 watts.
1/10 watt is 15% as loud as 50 watts.
50mW is 13% as loud as 50 watts
20mW is 10% as loud as 50 watts.
10mW is 8% as loud as 50 watts.
5mW is 6% as loud as 50 watts.
1mW is 4% as loud as 50 watts.
0.5mW is 3% as loud as 50 watts.
0.1mW is 2% as loud as 50 watts.
50uW is 1.6% as loud as 50 watts.
10uW is 1% as loud as 50 watts.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Last edited by Ninja Penguin77 at Aug 24, 2008,
I think that most amps are rated in overdrive for their wattage anyway? So you're not even getting 120 clean in the first place.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Yes the ohms match, the cab is 2 x 16ohm and the amp switch is on 8 ohm.

Why do they make high wattage amps if they are barely noticeablely louder? A Mesa F-50 is a few hundred more than an F-30, and for a 14% volume difference?

I thought it was that most amps are rated for their clean wattage.
The cab is 2 16 ohm speakers in parallel for 8 Ohms?

Different brands rate their amps differently, I guarantee you would not be able to turn up a 100 watt Marshall or Hiwatt in your house.
I don't know too much about it, but when I bought it, the guy said it was wired to 8 ohms, and when I opened it up, both v30's had 16 ohms written on them.
it should be incredibly loud with 120W dimed on the ch and master, thru 2x V30 speakers. Amps are usually rated for clean headroom before clipping, not overdrive, so a 120W rated tube amp can usually put out even more wattage if everything is dimed.

How old are your tubes? Old power tubes begin to sound lifeless and dull, and can lose volume like that. A bad preamp tube can also affect volume depending what it's job is in the circuit. You should literally be able to damage your hearing diming a 120W ultra thru 2x V30.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah, that''s what worries me, im not going deaf when I should..

maybe I'm already deaf
Getting a 4x12 would be louder, you're moving twice as much air.
Also, wattage has no relation to volume (decibels).
A 120w amp connected to a 240w speaker with low efficiency wouldn't be louder than a 60w amp through a speaker with high efficiency.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by injected
Yes the ohms match, the cab is 2 x 16ohm and the amp switch is on 8 ohm.

Why do they make high wattage amps if they are barely noticeablely louder? A Mesa F-50 is a few hundred more than an F-30, and for a 14% volume difference?

I thought it was that most amps are rated for their clean wattage.

They make slight differances because someone may need that 14% AND because they provide more clean headroom.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ventor
Getting a 4x12 would be louder, you're moving twice as much air.
Also, wattage has no relation to volume (decibels).
A 120w amp connected to a 240w speaker with low efficiency wouldn't be louder than a 60w amp through a speaker with high efficiency.

Wrong. A 4x12 wouldn't be any louder. If get gets a 4x12 with Vintage 30s, there will be no VOLUME difference, just a much wider sound spread, so it appears louder.

Your last sentence really depends of the efficiency of the individual speakers. For example, if your running a 100watts through a 97dB speaker, or 50watts through a 103dB speaker, which do you think will be "louder"? Or how about 50watts going through a 4x12 with 99dB speakers, or 100 watts with a 1x12 with 103dB?
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
Wrong. A 4x12 wouldn't be any louder. If get gets a 4x12 with Vintage 30s, there will be no VOLUME difference, just a much wider sound spread, so it appears louder.

Wrong, more speakers mean that the power is distributed more evenly, and each speaker will be more efficient (speakers become less efficient at high power). I don't say there's a big difference, but it will be a few dB (2-6dB) louder than a 2x12.
There will be a bigger difference when the amp is turned up close the speaker breakup of a 2x12 because a 4x12 will handle the power better and thus will be more efficient.

Quote by Cofflecakes

Your last sentence really depends of the efficiency of the individual speakers. For example, if your running a 100watts through a 97dB speaker, or 50watts through a 103dB speaker, which do you think will be "louder"? Or how about 50watts going through a 4x12 with 99dB speakers, or 100 watts with a 1x12 with 103dB?

My point is that the number of decibels put out depends more on the efficiency of the speaker and less on the wattage of the amp.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
Wrong, more speakers mean that the power is distributed more evenly, and each speaker will be more efficient (speakers become less efficient at high power). I don't say there's a big difference, but it will be a few dB (2-6dB) louder than a 2x12.
There will be a bigger difference when the amp is turned up close the speaker breakup of a 2x12 because a 4x12 will handle the power better and thus will be more efficient.

My point is that the number of decibels put out depends more on the efficiency of the speaker and less on the wattage of the amp.

And the circuit design of the amp can make just as big a difference. We are getting into territory that most people on here wont understand nor care. You SEEM to be confused about quite a few things, and you aren't taking into account a lot of variables. Maybe you just aren't paying much attention to your posting, but some things your saying just don't make any sense.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this