Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but is a bass supposed to make a clackish sound when you slap, pretty much the string smacking the frets when you slap it?

All of the videos of slapping I see lack the sound of the string smacking the frets, and Im not sure if its me, or what.

I play a Schecter Custom 6-string.
Last edited by Lovecannon at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by Lovecannon
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but is a bass supposed to make a clackish sound when you slap, pretty much the string smacking the frets when you slap it?

All of the videos of slapping I see lack the sound of the string smacking the frets, and Im not sure if its me, or what.

it'd help if i could hear it. and see what you're doing.
it's supposed to be percussive sounding. it could be that you're hitting the string into the pickup. that'll make a noise that sounds sortof like a clack. but i can't tell from the description. if that's the case, slap a little closer to the neck or lower your pickups a tad.
well its the string bouncing off the frets. Should there be any other noise other than the note when you slap?
Quote by Lovecannon

first off, GREAT CHOICE on bass! lol i got the 5 string ver, but if i had the chance now, i would have got the 6. lol but anyway,

check ur pickups, lower them if need be, i hit right b4 the beggining of the neck and i dont get that sound, it does have more of a bright sount and on the low b it may make that noise every now and again but u just gotta try diff places and see wut works best, thats wut i did and now it sounds fine.
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
its not hitting the pickups, its hitting the frets, like...kinda like tapping the frets really hard. Like a metallish clack coming from the frets. And yes, I love my bass, 800$ well spent. Its a very beautiful bass, only wish it was neck through, I would have gotten the Studio 6, but they were out of stock and i didnt feel like waiting.
Do you hear the sound through the amp or just from the bass?
If you are hearing it from the bass that is completely normal, if it is from the amp you probably need to raise your action or something
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)
Fender Rumble 15
Yeah its coming from the bass only, I wanted to know if that was normal, because I hate that clack noise..
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Yeah its normal.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
I'd like to say it's normal, but I don't want to turn someone off slap over a clicking sound I haven't even heard.

Any chance of a soundclip?

I may have just converted someone to permanent fingerstyle.

God of Bass, forgive me....
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
use compression. that will definitely stop the clack, if it is what I think it is.

and if you like that little noise, try it on a fretless. it's almost like clap bass clean, if you whack them strings hard enough.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
This is the sound

Annoying sound

And what do you mean by compression?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Aug 25, 2008,
sounds like fret buzz to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

but it doesnt get any buzz when I play with my fingers, even when i really pluck hard, it does make sense that the string would smack the frets when you slap the string towards the fretboard...
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
you're probably doing it wrong. :/

though I could be wrong- I've never made that noise except when I am not fretting right.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

How old are your strings?

And how high is your action? I used to get that on my old crappy Jazz bass that had an extremely high action. The "slap" sound is made by the strings hitting the frets, so thats exactly what you want.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Okay, new strings (Elixirs), and the action is fairly low, as low as you can get without any fret buzz, and if the slap sound is that clack of the string hitting the frets, then I guess that is what I want. Along with the bass note, it makes a percussive clack sound, when the string hits the frets, and thats what you are supposed to hear?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Yep. When practising at low volumes, it often seems harsh, but that is noise from your bass, and not as much goes through the amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yeah I wasnt sure if I was supposed to be hearing that, because all hte videos of slapping Ive seen never have that sound, must be because my amp is low volume that its not overpowering the clack from the bass
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
hmm.

sorry, lovecannon.

I just realized why you sound completely wrong to me. my computer speakers are broken.

I apologize.

I started playing my Cold War kids and it just sounded awful.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

lol...no problem.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
i did find that i couldn't stand the unplugged sound of my bass (i have a habit of practicing at 2 am) until i started using steel strings. i prefer the tone plugged in as well. little rougher on the fingers (well, a lot rougher if you're used to elixirs. have fun sliding), but it'll be worth getting used to.
Hey lovecannon,

I would get a DVD or an instructional video on slap technique just so you can see first hand how it's done. Check out You Tube for some great videos to. Once you get it positioning etc. is not important. You'll be able to do it anywhere, you just have to change your attack slightly. If I could give you one bit of advice, make sure you aren't striking the string and following through. Slap is really just a sharp slap and pull away quickly. One motion in and out and not to far in..........sorry it's starting to sound like a bass players Saturday night. LOL

My bass player joke of the day.....

What do girls say on a first date with a bass player after dating guitar players?

Hey that hurts!
That sound is normal, trust me, the clack is what makes it sound percussive and gives slap and pop it's distinctive sound.
Well, I used to play a P-Bass which has steel strings, and that wasnt bad, I didnt really notice a difference with elixirs...well..that is if Elixirs are what strings the Schecter Custom comes with :\, I do believe they come standard with Elixirs, but I could be wrong :|
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Aug 26, 2008,
it's mostly noticeable when you slide, but i found that due to the coating, elixirs have a slimy feel to them. not that anything comes off onto your hand, i just found it unpleasant.
some guys like it.
Sounds like a normal b string to me >.>
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.