So I got an American Strat last week and it's a great upgrade from my epi lp, but it has a humbucker in the bridge pickup and single coils in the other two. I was just wondering what kind of tone I was gonna be missing out on (examples would be appreciated) without the single coil in the bridge. Thanks in advance
"We decided to create this to prevent users from creating new threads when there is already a very large thread dedicated to said subject.

IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT GUITAR RELATED TOPICS, GO TO THE ELECTRIC GUITAR FORUM. THE PIT IS ONLY FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT TOPICS NOT RELATED TO ANY OF THE OTHER FORUMS ON THIS WEBSITE."

edit: it happens
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Aug 25, 2008,
First of all, this would be better off in the Electric Guitar forum, and second of all, you're not missing out on much with a bridge humbucker.

EDIT: Whoops a bit too late there.
Was this moved? (The first couple posts don't make sense if it wasn't) As for TS's question, All you're "missing" is a slightly hotter single coil in the first position (because of lack of tone control, making it's tone "sound" like it would be at 11). Takes away some of the bell-tone, but adds versatility. You may begin to want one later (as I have), but you're not missing A LOT. Though I could be mistaken, you are also missing the blending of the two single coils in the 2nd position, unless it splits the humbucker (please tell me if I'm wrong, thanks!).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
You get a pretty fairly twangy tone from the bridge pickup from my experience, good for Nirvana but then, why would you want to sound like that all the time? =P
You're probably better off with the crunch of the humbucker for when you play rock and hard rock stuff.