So I am going to go play and sing Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. I am nervous has crap and keep screwing up while I play it, but before I found out I was trying out for this gig I could play it in my sleep. Any advice?
My Rig:

Schecter Omen 6
DOD American Metal
Vox AD30VT
Don't worry, I bet if you were to play your second or third gig, it be difference, you just haven't developed confidence on stage, which comes in time, which is what I found out. If you make a mistake, just chill about it, people always make mistakes when they play live. Once at my school's BOTB, I accidently sang the third verse in place of the second verse while we were playing "Johnny B. Goode", and after I sang it, and i'm sure no one really knew I made the mistake, I just said "Oh S**t, I made a mistake, but people make mistakes" into the mic, and then just went into a solo.
Don't sweat it dude... I bet the mistakes are barley noticeable at all and its all in your head... Any time i play live i practically wanna cry (haha well not really but i can't explain it) when i make a mistake cause i think people notice... If you look at a tape of what you just played you would be like heyyy thats not bad... Or maybe its the fact that i play bass and fade into obscurity
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
yea dude, expect to make mistakes, especially if this is your first gig. once you've played two or three you won't even get nervous anymore because you will have realized how easy it is. all your doing on stage is what you did when you where practicing. really the only thing to remember is that if you screw up, do not stop! Do! Not! as soon as you stop playing because of a mistake, you will lose your groove, and highlight the fact the you make the mistake, and if you do that most people will immediately go "oh what a **** band!"
oh and remember that as soon as you start playing, you forget to be nervous (its crazy i know!) so there really isnt any point being nervous before hand.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
If before you're playing/while you're walking on you start feeling a shot of adrenaline, just try and suppress it. If you let it take over you you're going to get nervous and make mistakes. I did that at my last performance, and I was playing just like I was practicing at home. It's just like asking out a hot girl, you just have to say to yourself, "No, stay cool" and go for it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by shadowforte
So I am going to go play and sing Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. I am nervous has crap and keep screwing up while I play it, but before I found out I was trying out for this gig I could play it in my sleep. Any advice?

don't worry you'll be embarrassing yourself singing the lyrics to this song anyways
Originally posted by broken benjamin
I'd have to say that three days grace have the best lyrics by far
they help all the kids with problems relate to something and bring them back to the real world
ouch piggy088 that's harsh. record yourself playing it, than crank it up on your biggest speakers, and listen to your flaws and mistakes in your playing. if you can't record a track just turn your amp up really loud and yell the lyrics to the song. that way you will become more comfortable with the timing of the song
Yeah, I used to fixate on my mistakes during practice, but when I played I just told myself that no one out there in the audience can even come close to my talent and would be able to show me up. That and I'd just let loose and have fun up there. Remember to have fun. And even if you made a mistake no one would notice, it's gonna happen but just know that you can get away with it if you have too.
Don't worry about being nervous. Nerves are you friends if you're in a rock band. This isn't jazz or classical where you need great technical precision. People go to see rock bands put on a show. Nervous energy is a rock musicians best friend, it fires you up and makes you do things to impress the audience you wouldn't normally do. Once you learn to harness it, you'll find you play your best solos live, all while swinging your guitar around your head while the singer is lighting your pants on fire.
Quote by koslack
Don't worry about being nervous. Nerves are you friends if you're in a rock band. This isn't jazz or classical where you need great technical precision. People go to see rock bands put on a show. Nervous energy is a rock musicians best friend, it fires you up and makes you do things to impress the audience you wouldn't normally do. Once you learn to harness it, you'll find you play your best solos live, all while swinging your guitar around your head while the singer is lighting your pants on fire.

I wear leather pants onstage, can't burn these babies
But this is true, once you stop acting like you want to crawl into the back of your mind to get away from all the faces you'll either break under the pressure or have a huge boost in confidence. Pray you get the latter.
Try rehearsing it with a bunch of your friends all stood around throwing things at you and shouting abuse.
Or, try practicing it while there is a TV turned on in the room.
By the time the gig rolls around, it'll be an absolute doddle to play.

The fact of it is, you know you can play this song, you also know that it's only the nerves that are effecting you, but really, think about it, what is there to be nervous of?
Will you get arrested if you're that bad? No.
Will the audience lynch you and string you up if you're that bad? No.
The absolute worst thing that is going to happen to you is that there may be someone in the audience who's gonna be drunk or stupid enough to shout something out, otherwise known as a heckler...
(for a list of heckler putdown lines, see this;
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15004171&highlight=heckler#post15004171 )
...and nobody really takes much notice of those anyway.
Your life doesn't depend on this performance, you're playing your first gig so you don't have any real reputation to protect, so there's really nothing to be nervous about.
Just think back to any other practice that you've ever done before you got this gig, when you didn't have a problem playing it, and repeat that performance.
That's all you have to do, just once.
If you hit a bum note, hey, what the f*ck, sh!t happens, no one's expecting you to be a virtuoso, it simply doesn't matter, people will judge you on your overall performance, not on the odd bum note, and believe me, it happens to everybody, from the smallest garage band to the greatest performers of our time, everybody hits the occasional bum note.
Just relax and enjoy yourself.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 27, 2008,