Well being the little stupid high hopes kid that i am... I hope that by next summer my band will actually hit the road and go somewhere instead of playing that same old city every time... Everyone thats heard us live loves us but we dont have the greatest fanbase at our school or in the general area (due everyone loving lil wayne and soljia boy.) I know if people heard our music they would enjoy it so thats why i have high hopes (stuff on myspace is hella old wayyy better stuff coming soon)

Anyways i know its stupid to ask but without an agent or a label what extent does it take to do everything ourselves and try to get organized mini tour of the general area (towns around or hell maybe even provinces/states) If we do end up booking a bunch of gigs is it worth barley making a profit or losing money to get a name out there with the insane price of gas and long distance between each town it will cost a pretty penny.

Anyone got any advise of any kind for going on a tour for the first time?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Aug 25, 2008,
not worth it to lose money...but don't expect a profit.

if this is chin...you're the man. major props dude i love watching your videos gives me hope when i can't learn crazy hard songs (sequoia throne, f.c.p.remix)
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 25, 2008,
Well thats a good sign if people on this site know of us! But yeah im not chin (if my avatar didn't already give that away :P) I'm the lowly bassist that fades in to existence jkjk... I don't think hes really active on UG but i show him topics and stuff from time to time.
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Quote by tona_107
i really don't think he's looking for setting up his own shows, rather getting on the bill at clubs.

i don't mean to sound rude, but have you guys considered getting a singer?

Naw not rude at all, all critisim is good. Anyways if we could find something better we would but were 15 turning 16 this year there are no good vocalists other than some shotty female vocalists and we aren't really looking for something like that.

Chin is getting better and better at vocals and has recently got a singing coach and you can hear the improvement from just 3 lessons. Plus this band was started from a bunch of good friends, he was actually one of the major influences i picked up an instruement in the first place. Anyways, we could barely play our instruements (well chin could, but he was still new to vocals) before the band, we wrote stuff we couldn't play and was forced to learn it (sounds like some other band we worship hmmm :p
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Quote by AmpleSteak
Naw not rude at all, all critisim is good. Anyways if we could find something better we would but were 15 turning 16 this year there are no good vocalists other than some shotty female vocalists and we aren't really looking for something like that.

Chin is getting better and better at vocals and has recently got a singing coach and you can hear the improvement from just 3 lessons. Plus this band was started from a bunch of good friends, he was actually one of the major influences i picked up an instruement in the first place. Anyways, we could barely play our instruements (well chin could, but he was still new to vocals) before the band, we wrote stuff we couldn't play and was forced to learn it (sounds like some other band we worship hmmm :p

wow you guys are real young eh. bright futures i see hmm? ahah and should i know what band you're talking about? protest the hero maybe?
wow you guys are only 15? guys you got something going on! if you can hold together as a band, you could easily go places. and yea, i wouldnt worry about your vocalist, he'll get better as he practices.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by AmpleSteak
Well being the little stupid high hopes kid that i am... I hope that by next summer my band will actually hit the road and go somewhere instead of playing that same old city every time... Everyone thats heard us live loves us but we dont have the greatest fanbase at our school or in the general area (due everyone loving lil wayne and soljia boy.) I know if people heard our music they would enjoy it so thats why i have high hopes (stuff on myspace is hella old wayyy better stuff coming soon)

Anyways i know its stupid to ask but without an agent or a label what extent does it take to do everything ourselves and try to get organized mini tour of the general area (towns around or hell maybe even provinces/states) If we do end up booking a bunch of gigs is it worth barley making a profit or losing money to get a name out there with the insane price of gas and long distance between each town it will cost a pretty penny.

Anyone got any advise of any kind for going on a tour for the first time?

Idealy, you want someone who knows what they are doing organising something like a tour and you want that tour to make some kinda profit.
Enter the agent.
Get an agent to organise your tour for you, he'll know or have some sort of contact with all the right venues for your particular band, and what's more, he'll be earning a percentage of your earnings (probably somewhere in the region of about 20%) make sure he's on a 'net' percentage, the gross percentage is a percentage of the money before you've payed out any costs and if you start paying out personal profit margins before you pay up on your debts, that quite often leads to someone getting overpaid, someone else not recieving all the money they are owed and you, stuck in the middle of it all) so the more money he makes for himself, the more money he'll make for you.
Get your parents (yes, or an agent..... ) to help. A lot of the things you'll need to set up in advance will go more smoothly if you have an adult taking care of them.

Keep expenses down:
- Buy stuff at the grocery store and make it yourself. You can buy a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter for the price of one Big Mac combo.
- see if the venue can throw in food as part of your gig compensation
- sleep in the car/van if you can. Park in a truck stop parking lot and bunk down.
- a lot of clubs are in old hotels. See if the venue can provide accommodation - even if it's just one room and everyone shares a bed. Bring sleeping bags just in case someone would rather (or needs to ) sleep on the floor.
- make friends in the places you play - maybe you can swing a free meal or two and a place to stay for a night.
- A car with a trailer hitch and renting a trailer for gear might be cheaper and more comfortable than renting a large van for everyone and everything.

Some other stuff:
- for God's sake... get insurance.
- don't take any more days/nights off than you absolutely have to. Every moment you're not playing is a potential expense.
- when you're not playing, try to promote, promote, promote. Call ahead (weeks in advance maybe) to area media - campus stations, entertainment mags, newspapers, etc. Tell them that you're going to be in their town on such-and-such a day and see if you can get some press. Try to schedule on-air interviews, print articles, etc. to help hype the gig - and your band.
- bring something to do in the car. Idle hands do the devil's work. Remember as a kid, sitting beside your kid sister and fighting in the car because you were bored? Without something to do, your drummer will take the place of your kid sister quite nicely. Bring books to read, crossword puzzles, games, video games, a portable DVD player, whatever. It will help prevent band relationships from going bad.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 25, 2008,
I'd say wait until you are 18 until you tour. Most venues serve alchohol and as a result, are 18 and over. Obviously this a problem for guys your age.

Beyond that, follow axmanchris' advice. I might ad, try to play places where you will be guaranteed a crowd. It might seem counterintuitive, but big cities suck for live music. Play small towns, especially college towns. There's nothing else to do, so you'll get a great turnout. And for gods sake, be safe. Do not drink and drive, there will be hell to pay. Do not touch drugs on the road. And for a first tour, keep it short. 2-3 weeks at most, otherwise you might find you bit off more than you can chew.
Whoa, you guys are sick! I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding places to tour at, I'd see you if you played around me.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by koslack
I'd say wait until you are 18 until you tour. Most venues serve alchohol and as a result, are 18 and over. Obviously this a problem for guys your age.
I think thats kind of overkill to wait that long... The legal drinking age in Canada is 19 and 21 in the states so to wait that long would be ridiculous.
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
First...you guys are pretty good. Keep it up. Loads of potential.

Before you do anything, if you don't have a press kit...organize one! This is your key to getting shows. Its the first thing every promoter/venue I have worked with has asked for.

Network! This is by far the most important thing in the music industry. Get to know some bands in the areas you want to play in. This will possibly open up opportunities to play with them, give you access to their local contacts, and maybe they will even help you promote.

Merch. You almost definitely wont make money off a tour without label backing. Increase your chances of coming out even by having merch to sell. Stickers and pins are uber cheap to make and if you shop around, you can get some good deals on tshirts. I know that in my area, guarantees are around $300 for bands with a draw. So if you're getting say $200/show plus $100 from merch profits, you should be in pretty good shape.

Thats only scratching the surface of a very complicated subject.
For Sale/Trade:
Boss AC-2
Dunlop GCB 95

Telecaster Deluxe '72 reissue > Peavey VTX
Fender J Bass