Page 1 of 2
What is there to do there? What's the music scene like? Any really good music stores/other stores to check out? I'm moving there next Saturday (Catharine St. N.) I've heard there are alot of cool things in Hamilton, any thing I should check out? Also, I'll be going to John A. McDonalds High School or whatever it's called, anyone else go there and know what it's like? How many other UGers live in Hamilton? Thanks, just want to know what to expect.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
lol @ ti-cats
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
yeah, the football team is the only thing most people know about hamilton. Anyone have something helpful to add?

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
nope, sorry, i live on the other side of canada
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
i live in mississauga, sry -.-
i know that the place looks nice :P
edit: oh yeah i also know that my drum stool is somewhere in hamilton cuz of my stupid brother :P
~Carl
Look at my location.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by DoubleyouW
i live in mississauga, sry -.-
i know that the place looks nice :P
edit: oh yeah i also know that my drum stool is somewhere in hamilton cuz of my stupid brother :P

YEAAHHHH.. another guy from Mississauga... nice.. and Hamilton is alright, nothing special but not a bad place. I'm sure you'll find something enjoyable to pass the time.
Quote by floppypick
Look at my location.

you live in Lindsay, not hamilton
although it's still in Ontario, alot of cool places are in ontario. Though lindsay is not on that list, hamilton seems like it could be cool. my parents were in a pub, and the bartender was telling them about how a coven of witches was fundraising there the night before. That seems cool. and alot of musicians and artists from toronto are moving to hamilton because of how dirt cheap the houses there are. which is also cool.

Hey, At lease you don't have to live in Thunder Bay. We have NOTHING and more NOTHING.
^This post was probably sarcastic

GO LEAFS GO

Chief Executive Officer of Music Games of THE ULTIMATE-GUITAR GAMING FORCE
Quote by skvvisgaar
you live in Lindsay, not hamilton
although it's still in Ontario, alot of cool places are in ontario. Though lindsay is not on that list, hamilton seems like it could be cool. my parents were in a pub, and the bartender was telling them about how a coven of witches was fundraising there the night before. That seems cool. and alot of musicians and artists from toronto are moving to hamilton because of how dirt cheap the houses there are. which is also cool.

I meant how it says Ontario, it sucks

I don't really know, just look it up, that'd be my best guess on how to find out about it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
It sucks. I'm glad I don't have to live there. I've been there alot and usually pass through on my way to Toronto. Move somewhere else. OR, watch the terrible football team. Ti Cats are still enjoyable to go see as the atmosphere is usually pretty good. There are a few music halls in Hamilton that I've seen that can draw in some interesting stuff.

Nice thing with Hamilton is it's kind of in between; you can head to Toronto fairly easily, or to London fairly easily for concerts, sporting events etc.

Hamilton DOES have MacMaster university. Mac plays some strong football and have a killer marching band as well as some awesome tradition; they're great to watch.
Quote by James_Water2
Hey, At lease you don't have to live in Thunder Bay. We have NOTHING and more NOTHING.

From one Ontarian to another.. welcome to small towns across the world. Everyone in the suburbs bitches about having nothing to do.
Quote by James_Water2

Thunder Bay is F**** awesome. Learn to appreciate nature.
i did look it up, but there aren't many websites about which stores in hamilton have better prices than others, or which teachers at the school are cool, or whatever. I know that there's a store nearby with the largest stock of glocks in ontario (al simmons gun store, I think it's called), which interests me since I plan on getting a FAC sometime (whenever my dad gets his), but I don't know much else.

EDIT: just thought i'd mention, I've never watched more than 10 minutes of a football game, so talking about football means absolutely nothing to me.

Last edited by skvvisgaar at Aug 25, 2008,
I don't live directly in Hamilton, but I am there a lot.

The city itself is pretty scummy in a lot of areas, but there is quite a bit to do there. I haven't been to it in years, but I remember Jackson Square being a pretty cool mall and it's only a few blocks away from you. There's a ton of malls in the surrounding areas too. The local music scene is quite good, at least for the kinds of music I listen to. There is actually a music venue right on your street (The Underground) and another (The Casbah) is only a few blocks away. At least if you're a bit lonely in your first few months while you get settled, you'll almost always have some live music you can check out to enjoy yourself and meet some new people.

You also live pretty close to Hess Village, which is where a lot of people in the area go to party. Lots of bars and clubs to hang out at. Check out the website, http://www.hessvillage.com

Although you said you aren't into football, I still would recommend going to a Ticats game. It's fun. If you're into hockey, I'd check out the occasional Bulldogs game as well.

The one thing I don't really like about Hamilton is its lack of good music stores. Pretty much all we've got is Pongetti's up the escarpment and the Long and McQuade over in Burlington. Not really a far drive to either but it would be nice to have something good right in Hamilton.

And it might not mean much to you now, but yeah if you plan on going to university, McMaster is a beautiful school and it won't be too far away from you. I'll be going there starting in September.
yeah, the area I'm moving to is pretty good (although the school has alot of problems with Vietnamese gangs). on the other side of town meth is really popular and hookers will suck you off for as little as $5 (some of his friends are into that, he's met some of their "lady-friends of the evening" before), but the area I'm moving to seems less "ghetto".

a friend of mine smoked crack in hamilton once. The funny thing is I'm not even making this **** up. He was in my band for a little while, plays the guitar like a mother ****ing riot but ya now he moved back to Hamilton. But ya from what I hear Hamilton is nuts, although I suppose any city can be depending on who you know
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Quote by John_was_here
a friend of mine smoked crack in hamilton once. The funny thing is I'm not even making this **** up. He was in my band for a little while, plays the guitar like a mother ****ing riot but ya now he moved back to Hamilton. But ya from what I hear Hamilton is nuts, although I suppose any city can be depending on who you know

yeah, that's the bad part of Hamilton, the part I'm moving to is nicer, not as nice as the nice part, but the nice part is boring and expensive, and there are no stores within walking distance, like where I live now. My mom said most of the people in the bad part look inbred, though my uncle says the just smoke meth alot, and are not actually inbred. But maybe they are both inbred and smoke meth, who knows ?

anything else about hamilton I should know?

I'm from hamilton, well Ancaster - but ever since the whole merge thingy, we are considered hamilton...

the music scene is pretty sick, or well - atleast for the shows i've played and been at.
Cashbah, and Club Absinthe(peice of **** of a venue) usually hold metal shows and what not.

Good times in Hamilton.
Its alright, although most kids (at least my age, 17) just drink and chill. Not much really to do other than that ..
Quote by restless_thrash
lot of europeans, mostly slavs. my grandma and gramps are, and luda stungevicius is my aunt. She's a radio host from what i hear.

Its nice there, but apparently there a a couple of muggings a month.

Yeah, a buddy I work with got mugged. Sad story. Ah well, atleast he's alright, no harm done, just alot of his **** stolen, but the police found the dudes. Turns out they took his 80 dollers and went straight to Jackson Sqaure's Tacobell.
Quote by restless_thrash
lot of europeans, mostly slavs. my grandma and gramps are, and luda stungevicius is my aunt. She's a radio host from what i hear.

Its nice there, but apparently there a a couple of muggings a month.

I knew about the european thing, my parents stop by a european pub every time the go to hamilton. they brought me back half a sandwich once, it was tasty

Quote by Valo
Yeah, a buddy I work with got mugged. Sad story. Ah well, atleast he's alright, no harm done, just alot of his **** stolen, but the police found the dudes. Turns out they took his 80 dollers and went straight to Jackson Sqaure's Tacobell.

hahaha, probably had the munchies.
Seriously, downtown hamilton, you'll see some pretty ****ed up people. Lots of drunks, addicts, etc.

Cheapies is a good music store, and they're local. There's also Rock'n' tees, lots of band shirts and shoes, pretty cool store. However, we hardly have any big music instrument stores. There's a small store on the same street, but I didn't like it there. There's Picks' N' Sticks on Locke street which is decent. If you really want to buy something though, everyone just usually goes to Long & Mcquade, which is pretty big. Never been to Pongetti's though. I hear they're overpriced.
You also got a pretty big hillbilly population, kind of annoying. And Sir John A really depresses me. It was supposed to be a prison, but they changed it to a school, so like, no windows. I went there for summer school. Ya, lots of gangs and **** there too, so watch your back. I go to Westdale btw.
Also, the music scene is decent. However, most bands I just find boring and not really doing it for me. Big bands come pretty often though, to Copps. Tool, Queens, Arch Enemy (don't like them really, my friends do though).. and NIN is actually coming in October. If they don't come to Hamilton though, London or Toronto aren't that far away, so you're in a pretty good position.

What grade are you in/what do you play?

Edit: Is Al Simmons gun shop the one on Locke? I've been by that place probably a million times. Never went in though. Also, Locke street is pretty nice. Locke St. Bakery have the best bagels fyi.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

Last edited by Jack Flint at Aug 25, 2008,
I'm going into Gr. 11, and I play alot of different stuff, Nirvana to pink Floyd to John Lee hooker, and I play flute for the school band. apparently the gangs are mostly Vietnamese, and Asian gangs usually just involve other asians, judging by experience in some of the worse parts of Toronto. my brother is going into gr. 9, so he's just starting high school, but he is about as far from "gangsta" as is humanly possible, so he probably won't get into trouble with gangs.

I usually prefer to buy gear used, any good pawn shops near where I'm moving? (Catharine St. N.)

I live pretty close by Hamilton, and I used to work inside the Jackson Square. The downtown area isn't the nicest to be honest but there are some nice spots you can go to. The rooftop of Jackson Square is pretty nice. Over all the people there seem pretty scummy but it gets like that in any large city really.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by skvvisgaar
I'm going into Gr. 11, and I play alot of different stuff, Nirvana to pink Floyd to John Lee hooker, and I play flute for the school band. apparently the gangs are mostly Vietnamese, and Asian gangs usually just involve other asians, judging by experience in some of the worse parts of Toronto. my brother is going into gr. 9, so he's just starting high school, but he is about as far from "gangsta" as is humanly possible, so he probably won't get into trouble with gangs.

I usually prefer to buy gear used, any good pawn shops near where I'm moving? (Catharine St. N.)

I'm going into Grade 11 too. Lol, and I remember doing a report on John Lee Hooker in grade 5. The teacher asked me who I was doing my report on, and I said his name, and she's like
"John Lee what?"
"Hooker"
"Is that an actual person?"
"Yeah..."
"Ok then."
Lol, she totally didn't believe me. Whatever.
I'm pretty sure there's a pawn shop on King, maybe near Ferguson St? I don't know though, so don't quote me on that.
But that's pretty cool, you don't live too far away. Maybe we could jam sometime? I play bass btw.
And is that quote of Eddie Lee from that show Mongolian Chop Squad? I used to watch that show all the time.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

Anyone who bitches about their town should come to Timmins... be proud of what you have.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Hamilton, Ontario eh?

John A McDonald's High School, eh?

You do realize that you just gave me enough information to find out where you live, where you go to school, and the means of finding out which new kid plays a rock instrument so that I may find his house and rape him furiously?
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
Hamilton, Ontario eh?

John A McDonald's High School, eh?

You do realize that you just gave me enough information to find out where you live, where you go to school, and the means of finding out which new kid plays a rock instrument so that I may find his house and rape him furiously?

c'mon over then honey just to let you know, I looked at your profile, and you're in high school in Smalltown, North Dakota, United States and you have a yet-to-be-completely-formed band called Canned Soup, which features you on Bass and Back-up vocals, your brother on Rhythm Guitar and Vocals, your friend on Drums, so that gives me even more info than I gave you.

and under your username, you mention "Chicks dig Squeadlies."
What are squeadlies ? are they like a squealies? because those aren't very hard to do.

anything else I should know about hamilton? only a few days left til I move there.

Quote by acersucks
You're leaving Brampton? I'm gonna be all lonely now

dont worry, I'm sure that they're are going to be plenty of people who will still want to live in "Bramladesh" with you lots of new houses being built, and not many new schools being built, so you'll have plenty of people to talk to or you could move to Hamilton, we sold our 3 bdrm. house with no garage or attic for $190, 000 and bought a 4 bdrm. with a garage and a huge attic for $130, 000. And there's a club called The Underground on my street, so if I get bored of school I can get a fake ID and drink all day and listen to music

im in Nipigon,Ontario you should all feel bad for me
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
no, I refuse to feel bad for you on the grounds that:

1.you are not likely going to be mugged/stabbed/shot (unless you actually deserve it)
2.there are few crackheads/homeless people who will scream at you/annoy you
3.you have a crater on mars named after your town
4.your school probably has no portables, and everything is inside the main building, as opposed to my school which has more than 20 portables where the tennis court should be.
5.there aren't stabbings and shootings at your school
6.there is probably alot of cheap weed in Nipigon
7.You probably have a big house, as most houses in northern ontario are big
8.you likely have some sort of firearms/pellet guns in your house or a friend/family members house, so you can go hunting or target shooting often
9.with all of the big old trees nearby you could make a totally awesome one piece guitar body for cheap
10.in case of war/terrorist attack/zombie outbreak/etc. you are far away from large urban centres and you will live longer

Page 1 of 2