for my Rockschool grade 4 I gotta slap Major Scales and I can only slap the top String
No popping is allowed.

I can play my three pieces fine as I am not doing the ones with slapping in them. and no everything else I need to do.

I got my exam in about a month and I most likely will be able to pass with out slap but the higher grades I have no choice but to slap so I might as well learn it properly now rather than later. I also would like to go for Distinction or Merit so will need to slap.
So basically your saying you have a month to learn how to slap? The best advice I can give is to PRACTICE.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
So what are you saying? Are you...asking something?

Top string, is that the G or the E?

Just follow any basic theory that you know (if they teach that in..."rock school") and apply it to the string.

Examples in G major:

E - 3-5-7-8-10-12-14-15

G - 0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12

If that's what you are looking for. If you're looking for info on how to slap, I would think that is easily accessable on here or google. What do they teach you in rock school if they are testing this? Wouldn't they teach the technique? Sorry if I seem rude but I'm just not framiliar with rock school.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Aug 25, 2008,
I ment the E string I know that its the bottom but I always consider it the top as it closest to you.

anyway RockSchool is Music exam board in the Uk, You buy a book to learn from and learn the stuff in it and take a exam grades 1 - 8 and I'm doing grade 4.

one Part of the exam I have to play Technical Exercises Major Scales in Keys B, D , BFlat, Fsharp, and E flat should be slapped,

Major arpeggios should be Popped in the Same keys.

Played 85BPM

http://www.rockschool.co.uk/
Last edited by jayoel at Aug 25, 2008,
ok i'm glad to know i could sleep my way through rockschool grade 4 now.

now that i got that out of my system what is it you are asking because all i can get from your first post is "i want to pass my rockschool grades for some reason and i need to do very basic slap bass that i could quite easily google or even use the search function of UG and find appleheads slap bass lesson that covers the very basics of slap bass yet still manages to be more of a challenge than rockschool"
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
So what do you need help with?
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
if this is grade 4.... i (and most others in this forum) are well past the grade 8 difficulty it seems

not to be insulting but i kinda wanna know wtf is this ****
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
if this is grade 4.... i (and most others in this forum) are well past the grade 8 difficulty it seems

not to be insulting but i kinda wanna know wtf is this ****

maybe most but everyone has to start somewhere. you just can't pick up a bass and be able to play grade 8.
Yes you can.
metronome, metronome, metronome, man.

if you want to increase your speed, try to avoid unnessecary moves. you should practise hour daily very very slow and watch your thumb. see how it all works and be focused on the tone.
then faster with metronome.