Ok so today i got around to thinking i want to get a strat style body w/kramer style neck sometime in the future (which warmoth has both of) and paint it EVH style. I recently did some searching for that "EVH pickup" and found the SD SH-11 Custom Custom pickup. So i was thinking about the ultimate eddie tone setup. He's my favorite guitarist and biggest influence and i love his pre-hagar tone.

The setup would go...

EVH Frankenstrat custom replica through a Peavey 6505 amp w/ effects like flanger and stuff.

The frankenstrat replica would, as stated above, have a strat style body (preferably rear-routed), kramer style maple neck, schaller floyd rose, EVH style paint job, and a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom bridge pickup. Maybe only the SD bridge pickup.

So, how would this be for old Eddie tone? Like, pre-Hagar stuff. I think this would be pretty damn close maybe as close as you can get but what's your opinion on it?
The only way to sound like Eddie is to be Eddie. With this setup you'll have the technical side of things, but you won't sound like him because the remainder of the tone is in the hands, and how you use them.
Quote by captainoid
The only way to sound like Eddie is to be Eddie. With this setup you'll have the technical side of things, but you won't sound like him because the remainder of the tone is in the hands, and how you use them.

Well like i said, i want a tone like his, not to be him.
well eddie used marshalls cranked all the way up but thats probably not an option, so yeah either a peavey 6505 or the EVH 5150 III if you happen to have a trillion spare dollars. he uses the MXR phase 90 and you can get the EVH flanger which has a button that engages his "unchained" flange setting and a little delay hear and there wouldn't hurt. also with your floyd get a D-tuna which eddie had
I R GUY LOLOLOLOLOLO1O1O1O!!1L1
Quote by HighPotency
Would i mount the floyd on top of the guitar or route out a slot for it? And if i mount it on top how do you go about doing that?

eddies guitar was not routed, he was a dive-only man
Quote by HighPotency
Ok so today i got around to thinking i want to get a strat style body w/kramer style neck sometime in the future (which warmoth has both of) and paint it EVH style. I recently did some searching for that "EVH pickup" and found the SD SH-11 Custom Custom pickup. So i was thinking about the ultimate eddie tone setup. He's my favorite guitarist and biggest influence and i love his pre-hagar tone.

The setup would go...

EVH Frankenstrat custom replica through a Peavey 6505 amp w/ effects like flanger and stuff.

The frankenstrat replica would, as stated above, have a strat style body (preferably rear-routed), kramer style maple neck, schaller floyd rose, EVH style paint job, and a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom bridge pickup. Maybe only the SD bridge pickup.

So, how would this be for old Eddie tone? Like, pre-Hagar stuff. I think this would be pretty damn close maybe as close as you can get but what's your opinion on it?

Pretty rubbish to be honest with you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
pre-hagar, eddie used a marshall Super Lead. (a.k.a. JMP). a 6505 will sound more Hagar-ish than Roth-ish. if u even call the Hagar years Van Halen.

youll also need a PAF style pickup and a s***load of pedals.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
pre-hagar, eddie used a marshall Super Lead. (a.k.a. JMP). a 6505 will sound more Hagar-ish than Roth-ish. if u even call the Hagar years Van Halen.

youll also need a PAF style pickup and a s***load of pedals.

Not at all -you don't need any pedals except perhaps a phaser. The key to that sound was the dry line-out taken from the dimed amp, run through the effects and then fed into a power amp. If you're running an amp that hot then a lower output pickup helps keep the dynamics, if you don't have as much gain on tap or want to get closer at lower volumes then you can get away with a hotter pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, a truly "ultimate" EVH setup would involve a cranked Marshall Superlead with a Variac in it, a Strat-style body w/ 21 fret maple neck, angled Gibson PAF near the bridge and a dive-only Floyd... so no, I don't think you're going to get close.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by steven seagull
Not at all -you don't need any pedals except perhaps a phaser. The key to that sound was the dry line-out taken from the dimed amp, run through the effects and then fed into a power amp. If you're running an amp that hot then a lower output pickup helps keep the dynamics, if you don't have as much gain on tap or want to get closer at lower volumes then you can get away with a hotter pickup.

phase, flange, delay....eddies pedal board is huge, and if all or even some are NOT true bypass, it will have a big effect on tone. even with my one wah pedal (not true bypass) i get a very noticable drop off in treble...but for the bare minimum, phase and flange at least!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
from what everything youve described, it sounds like you want eddies van hagar 5150 look but with Roth's sound.

what youd want for the guitar is something with an ash body, bolt on maple neck. for a pickup id highly recommend the bareknuckles vh2 i believe it is, this NAILS the brown sound pickup pretty closely.your amp you would want somethign like a vintage marshall super lead or any other vintage british voiced amps. eddies early effects were pretty sparce compared to later, he only had a script logo phase 90, vintage flanger, and his delay, if i missed anything someone be sure to add it
NOPE
whats your budget overall for the project, and whats your current amp now?
NOPE
Well this was just something i was considering doing when i get the money/time. Like i said i just wanted opinions on how this would sound.

And i looked on warmoth i figure the guitar would probably cost around $700 for everything including grain filler, paint, etc.

Again, it's just something i want to strive towards doing sometime in the hopefully near future.
Quote by HighPotency
Well this was just something i was considering doing when i get the money/time. Like i said i just wanted opinions on how this would sound.

And i looked on warmoth i figure the guitar would probably cost around $700 for everything including grain filler, paint, etc.

Again, it's just something i want to strive towards doing sometime in the hopefully near future.

hey, if you paint it yourself, you don't need to pay ridiculous amounts of moneys for warmoth's painting.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by HighPotency

Well, my point being, if you're planning to spend that much on a 6505, you can get an amp better suited to what you want.
Check this out:
http://www.splawnguitars.com/clips.htm

Bunch of clips there, look at the one's by the Van Halen tribute band. Sounds ridiculously like early VH, IMO. Needs a bit more compression from power tube distortion, but that's kind of hard to recreate without some additional equipment.