Okay I know this may sound kinda stupid but ever since I started lifting weights I've been noticing I'm playing slower. especially on my alternate picking stuff.
Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?
Is there any way to keep my speed while lifting weights?
I think I'm getting slower because I'm losing flexibility or something like that.

thanks
well you pretty much answered yourself in your last sentence. just start stretching before you play. I know what you mean though. it's like your arms are too heavy to move the same way or something. haha.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
do more reps with lighter weights and always strectch before and after lifting.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Wear gloves that protect your hands better.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by SlashKirkSynG
Okay I know this may sound kinda stupid but ever since I started lifting weights I've been noticing I'm playing slower. especially on my alternate picking stuff.
Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?
Is there any way to keep my speed while lifting weights?
I think I'm getting slower because I'm losing flexibility or something like that.

thanks

Only really effects you if you work forearms hard.
Flexibility has nothing to do with it.
Quote by one vision
Don't do them at the same time.

But seriously, I lift wieghts ocassionally, and your arms get tired. I know. So just wait a few hours, don't lift weights before practicing guitar.

+1.

It won't have any effect if you just stretch before and after weights.

As an example of this, look at Zakk Wylde or any insanely massive guy from most metal bands.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I lift and dont see any problems unless i come up from my weight room and go straight for my guitar without cooling down. Zakk Wylde seems to play ok too. ^
^word. (The headstock looks so wimpy compared to him.

I've heard things about when you lift weights, its easy for you to have more tension in your arm when you play. So make sure you aren't playing with too much tension, as that will slow you down.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
^word.

I've heard things about when you lift weights, its easy for you to have more tension in your arm when you play. So make sure you aren't playing with too much tension, as that will slow you down.

I've heard that too, but I don't give it much credence because if you leave a few hours in between, the amount (if any) of added tension should be negligible, and certainly should be so the following day.

And that picture was taken from a show I did a few years ago; believe it or not, I'm even bigger now.
Quote by :-D
And that picture was taken from a show I did a few years ago; believe it or not, I'm even bigger now.

Excellent. Malmsteens recipe makes great food for weightlifting.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
*wakes smiley up from his being a god dream*
you're a mere mortal!

i usually don't play guitar for 3 hours or something after working out. workout - bathe - dinner - theory - play

so i don't feel any effects of working out on my picking hand. only benefits. my arms never get tired from playing. only my hands.
Oh dude wait thats you? Seriously thought that was Eddie Vedder. That pic looks a lot like him, esp in their Storytellers concert.
ooh thanks everybody.
I'm gonna make sure that I stretch.
but ya I notice that I get more tense when I play.
How heavy are you lifting? And how many reps?
If you lift heavier weights and fewer times you will develop slower moving muscle. If that's in your forearm it could affect you speed.
ooh umm... I just started so I'm not doing many reps yet I usually do like 15-20 reps on a 6 kg weight. I've been doing stuff like curls and shoulder exercises, tricep exercises.