Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me obtain this tone. I'm looking to get my guitar to throw out a tone that is sparkly. I'm not talking about twangy (like a Strat with single coil pups), but actually bright and sparkly. I want to make my guitar sound like crystal chimes.

Any suggestions?

I'm playing an Edwards Alexi Pinksawtooth through a SpiderValve. I've also got an Ibanez.

Is there any pedal which would give me this sparkly and chiming crystal tone?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I don't know much of anything about the spider valve but there has gotta be a Fender amp model on it, right?

If so use that.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
I don't know much of anything about the spider valve but there has gotta be a Fender amp model on it, right?

If so use that.

I did, it just sounds like a Fender-ish twang.

I'm looking for something close or somewhat similar to a chime from a crystal.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Horlicks
EQ pedal?

Not necessarily, but I'd figured that using an EQ pedal to reduce the bass would do it, but from my trials, that just made the tone thin.

Is there a pedal which would saturate the trebles and mids? Something close to a crystal chime would be ideal.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Shred Head
A treble boost and a little reverb might help

Reverb. OK I'll patch that in.

But is there a pedal or something which would saturate the tone so that the loss in bass wouldn't make the whole tone really thin and sharp?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Reverb. OK I'll patch that in.

But is there a pedal or something which would saturate the tone so that the loss in bass wouldn't make the whole tone really thin and sharp?

It can, but don't lose the bass. I find that just boosting treble a bit more makes it brighter and clearer, but doesn't lose the body of sound.
Quote by lefthandman9876
chorus, nice shimmer

nice shimmer... is that a description of the sound or a pedal or something?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by fretsonfire74
It can, but don't lose the bass. I find that just boosting treble a bit more makes it brighter and clearer, but doesn't lose the body of sound.

I tried that a while ago, but it still sounds like a guitar.

I admit that a guitar will always sound like a guitar, but I was hoping to be able to recreate a chime that is remisicent of a crystal or at least simulate a similar effect. Really bright, clear and resonant.

My friend asked me to play some piece for his wedding night, and we've come to the conclusion that portion of the song would sound really romantic for the "you may kiss the bride" portion of the ceremony.

Any pedal like a sparkle pedal or a chime drive? lol.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
imo you wouldn't want to use pedals with that amp - its a great amp (regardless of what the "its still a spider lolz" bandwagon says), but I don't think it'd handle pedals too well, like all digital amps.

You should be able to easily get a chimey tone out of the amp, i think the blue clean setting should help. Another suggestion would be, if your guitar has humbuckers, you could consider installing a switch to make the coils of the bridge pickup run in parallel.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
To be honest ive describe my clean tone as 'Sparkly' and i use an ibanez aswell but ive got an RG2570E and to be honest the tone i believe is very 'sparkly' and i achieve this with just a guitar and amp so you're shouldnt look for pedals etc but instead go into stores and grab the high end RG's and see if you can hear it!
Quote by Blompcube
imo you wouldn't want to use pedals with that amp - its a great amp (regardless of what the "its still a spider lolz" bandwagon says), but I don't think it'd handle pedals too well, like all digital amps.

You should be able to easily get a chimey tone out of the amp, i think the blue clean setting should help. Another suggestion would be, if your guitar has humbuckers, you could consider installing a switch to make the coils of the bridge pickup run in parallel.

I agree on both counts, it really is a great amp. I can't figure out how its "digitised" as some consistently claim. Yes, its doesn't take pedals very kindly I feel either.

OK, let me try the blues setting, any eq config I could try? I really want the guitar to sound like a crystal chime.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by Bowkore
To be honest ive describe my clean tone as 'Sparkly' and i use an ibanez aswell but ive got an RG2570E and to be honest the tone i believe is very 'sparkly' and i achieve this with just a guitar and amp so you're shouldnt look for pedals etc but instead go into stores and grab the high end RG's and see if you can hear it!

Any chance you can share a sound clip of your sparkly tone?

I don't exactly have a high end RG... I think its a 320? I cannot recall and I cannot find any pictures which make reference to the Ibanez I have, anywhere online.

I've upgraded the pickups, because the stock pups were crappy.

I've got DiMarzio D Sonic | Lace Sensor Hot Gold | DiMarzio Evo 2 in "bridge | middle | neck" configuration.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ibanez RG with two buckers and a 5-way? Position 2 or 4 on the pup selector, some chorus, some reverb, cut some mids and boost some treble - that how I start to gets me my 'sparkly' tone.