I currently own a marshall dsl401 and quite frankly ive had enough of its fizzy no low end distortion. Now i play all sorts from jazz, funk, gritty SRV blues, rock, hard rock all the way through to metal such as megadeth and metallica. For my clean tone i would like a nice good times by chic rhythm sound, snappy and clear. For my rhyhthm/ hard rock sound i would like a nice marshall raw similar to that of i believe in a thing called love by the darkness, or any other examlples of that marshal sound. For my metal sound I would like a really big low end sound, for example listen to exactly 0.19 seconds in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv6psE7l7rk with the big low end. But also I need to be able to get smooth lead sounds like cliffs of dover, and garry moore parisienne walkways sound, a thick creamy lead sound.

One concern I had with the amp was that seems to have some reliability issues, maybe I am wrong and someone could enlighten me? Also being 120w of valve power I would imagine this little 212 combo is rediculously loud, so loud that I would never be able to crank it. If so what does it sound like at low volumes?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
There is a topic up now about someone wanting to quiet this exact amp. He complains it is wayyyyy too loud.... So, I would say, unless you are willing to shell out 250 or so for an attenuator, it will not be worth it. It seems like you need a Traynor YCV50 Blue. It would fit your style much better. All you would need is an overdrive pedal for the Megadeth and Metallica. Although, do you gig? If so, how often?
i play in a band and hope to gig in future. And traynors are impossible to get over hear. People have recommended me hard rock amps with boost pedals but everyone seems to think they just wont cut it for metal. I play all sorts but primarily its hard rock sound i would say saturation wise. And people are saying it sounds good at low volumes unlike recs
Well I don't know from personal experience, but I recommend checking out that "Quieting a 120 watt tube amp" thread. It might show you that it's just not worth it to have all those watts.

If you want a cranked Marshall tone, there is no way in hell you'll get it with the Bugera IMO.
thats the problem theres not amp which is ideal for me! None! It is so annoying! And no im not a metal head that wants to go "i amz cool cause I has 120w ampage" I would much rather hav a 30w version if they had it. But they dont and I am just confused!
Peavey Classic 30? I think you would get great tone for all those. You don't play any metal from the bands you mentioned. You mentioned a couple thrash bands. Thrash can be done with an overdrive on the C30. It's a bit cheaper, and it's better for what you are doing. Check it out.

You can get that Marshall tone on them too. I've tried them thoroughly, and I like them.
ive never been a huge peavey fan. That hayden looks good but never heard of them before and is it a clean channel or a vintage channel?
well would the bugera looks good but anyone got any other suitable alternatives?

What I might not have explained is even when im playing some lighter stuff, I like to have a really drivey sound with alot of bass. So would the 333xl be good?
Last edited by Varkunus at Aug 25, 2008,
Well, what's your budget?
Because if you could find a used Hughes & Kettner Switchblade, it would suit all your needs.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
ive had the 333xl since it first came out and it hasn't broke down. It's loud though. Real loud.
Quote by hansolo1106
Well, what's your budget?
Because if you could find a used Hughes & Kettner Switchblade, it would suit all your needs.

+1
Thing I always tell people... tube amps are better and sound more organic but if you're in a situation where you can't use a tube amp or you have to turn it way down then it isn't better. It's destroying the purpose. It's better to have a nice solid state amp that you can get good tone out of at the volume you want rather than a tube amp that doesn't sound right because you can't turn it up. I use tube amps with the band but if i used tube amps in my apartment then id be kicked out.
those switchblades cost alot!
Bugera amps are awesome. I've only heard the clean tone on the 6262 and it could handle Jazz and Blues, but the gain channels on both are pretty stellar!

Bugera FTW
Quote by Varkunus
well would the bugera looks good but anyone got any other suitable alternatives?

What I might not have explained is even when im playing some lighter stuff, I like to have a really drivey sound with alot of bass. So would the 333xl be good?

333XL will go from accoustic clean to jazz to blues to rock to metal. It covers it all.
my friend was telling me that the 6262 was much warmer? Which would be smoother and more eric johnson lead type on neck pickup although i still want a big sound for metal. And i heard the build quality isnt that good, well i know paying that much for an amp its not gona be brilliant and if the tone is so good something will have to be comprimised...! Could someone do some cliffs of dover type tones, and gary moore tones aswell as some gritty blues. Cause there are loadsa of goood rhythm demos on youtube but hardly any lead
what about the carvin v3, and how much is this?
or what about an 800 combo?
Maybe you should go out an actually play some amps - that's the only way you'll know if you like something, or if it'll have "your" sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO