Would rock music be what it is today if the blues was never created?

For me I think rock music would not be where it is today, especially bands from the 60's and 70's.

But do you think bands would of shone through anyway?

Discuss.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Last edited by stef123 at Aug 25, 2008,
No because rock music wouldn't exist

mutha fukkr
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
It'd be like... Ultra heavy ballroom waltz.

Br00tal.

"This next song is called... BABY LETS DAAAAAAAAAANCE"

*blastbeats and tremelo picking*
^

^o) for those with MSN
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
the world would be different

does the TS have a point or is he or she just indicating the obvious?
music would have died with count basie
I am coining new words like 'misunderstanding' and 'Hispanically'

"Civilization is unbearable, but it is less unbearable at the top"
-Timothy Leary

crit my songs (click on my profile)
no.
just no.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
nO MUSIC WOULD BE THE SAME WITHOUT WHAT CAME BE-OOPS CAPS
No music would be the same without what came before it.
/thread
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I'm a big advocate of Muddy Waters and Clapton, mainly because I really think they were the catalysts of blues/rock in their respective time periods.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by Eminored
There'd probably just be endless neo-classical shred.

not even that.
We'd proberly have jazz influenced shredding........or something.
Quote by GiantRaven
Of course it bloody won't. What kind of a stupid question is that?

This
No blues... so no Black Sabbath, so no Hard Rock and no Heavy Metal...

Oh no, I'm gonna have nightmares now...
Quote by GoDrex
we'd be rocking out to polka

Cool!
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
well without blues then the next big super hit in the 20s-40s era would have been jazz.

Assuming all the technology stayed the same, I would say that blues would have came along eventually. All the guitar techniques and theory was there for guitarists it's just a matter of what group of people start it. Then it would eveually move onto electric blues, as the heavier sounds get introduced the other branches of rock would begin to fill in.
this seriously underestimates the consequences of the butterfly effect. There's a chance that if some unknown blues player hadn't existed, we wouldn't have rock 'n roll. There's a chance that if some non-musician hadn't existed, we wouldn't have rock 'n roll.
If a fly in Africa gets a cold, rock 'n roll's ****ing doomed.
Quote by kaplac
well without blues then the next big super hit in the 20s-40s era would have been jazz.

Assuming all the technology stayed the same, I would say that blues would have came along eventually. All the guitar techniques and theory was there for guitarists it's just a matter of what group of people start it. Then it would eveually move onto electric blues, as the heavier sounds get introduced the other branches of rock would begin to fill in.

You do know how blues originated right, cos to me it sounds like you think it started with clapton?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115

yeah I know where blues started from.
But I'm just saying, if blues never existed, jazz still would have.

Jazz and blues are pretty much related, assuming that we are talking about the more modernized blues that began in the early 1900s.

Jazz and blues charts are generally the same in structure, there's just a different swing to them for the most part. I don't find it hard at all to see jazz groups in the early 1900s inventing blues.
Nah, you'd still have the eastern european influences coming into the US, but without it meeting the blues from down south you can't complete the picture.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by GoDrex
we'd be rocking out to polka

polkacore anyone?
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Well without the blues we would still have gotten something out of the Country, Bluegrass, Folk, Americana, Soul, and Jazz music that comes from the south/southeastern part of the United States, but without the blues it would be much different.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
No Blues = No Elvis = No Beatles = No Eric Clapton = No Jimi Hendrix = No Black Sabbath= No w/e etc.
something called "poopfist".
--gear--

Yamaha C5 L Grand Piano

Fender Custom Telecaster HH Flamed Maple Top

Marshall MG100HDFX

Dunlop Cry Baby

Digitech Distortion Factory

Pianists F.T.W.
do not say such things. without the blues, my penis would be much smaller.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well that depends what you consider rock music. If you consider the average definition of BLUES-BASED energetic music, then no, I don't think so. But if you mean something like loud, abrasive music, probably. Alot of sub-genres would exist too I think, like some kind of punk, reggae, and shred/some types of metal.
Dickless.