So at the start of the summer I treated myself to a Gibson LP studio.
and then I broke 2 of the tuners off it in a "Freak accident" anyways I'm getting the tuners replaced with the most expensive grovers, it's been 3 months and music stop still hasn't ordered them in what a piss off. Anyways the real question is do gibsons use specific strings? the ones I got with my gibson sound really nice and I want the same sound again. If they don't what strings should I get?
thanks!
Gibson has its own brand of strings, I can't remember the name of them right now. Brite wires or something like that. Thats what came on my LP although I'm not positive about studio's.
wow fast reply! so of all strings what kind would you recommend? I'll check out brite wire
Quote by Boorat
wow fast reply! so of all strings what kind would you recommend? I'll check out brite wire

I have a Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition. I hated the strings on it. I've used lots of different string brands, and the best I've ever used (what I use now) are D'Addario strings. I use 10s.
okay, so apparently the guitar is fixed! I'll be heading up there in a few minutes I'll see what they say about brite wire and d'addario, does anyone else have oppinions on them?
D'Addario makes great stuff, I use them for my acoustic, and classical guitars. On my electric I use either D'Addario or DR strings, I use them pretty interchangibly.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Aug 25, 2008,
I like elixirs, but again strings are subjective, try em out
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Martin Scott
I have a Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition. I hated the strings on it. I've used lots of different string brands, and the best I've ever used (what I use now) are D'Addario strings. I use 10s.

whats the difference between the D'Addario strings and the ernie ball? i have ernie ball on mine just now, i know they are not expensive but i cant be arsed to change strings only to find out i dont like them and have to change again
Well, Ernie Balls I found to be very average strings. Initially I thought they were great, but that's only because they were the only strings I really tried (because that's what everyone uses, so you use them too when you're a beginner). After deciding to try a bunch of different brands, I settled on D'Addarios. they just feel and sound better than other strings. I think the reason for this is that the strings come in a vacuum-sealed pouch, rather than a paper wallet. So D'Addario strings are completely sealed-off from the outside elements, and when you open them are literally as fresh as the moment they were made. Whereas strings that have been sat in a paper/plastic wallet (Ernie Balls, and most other brands) are not totally sealed off. They'll have not come into contact with any oils etc, but the air still gets to them.

Contrary to popular wisdom, it is not simply the sweat on your fingers which corrodes guitar strings. It is also oxygen. After all, what does oxygen do to say, the metal of a bicycle when you leave it out in the elements over winter? Exactly. Oxygen is one of the most volatile elements known to man. The sweat from your fingers certainly does accelerate the degradation of your strings, but that's only part of the story. I've had some Ernie Balls that have felt relatively fresh, and then I've had others which have felt really rough and half-used straight from the pack.

This is because they've been sat hanging from the display behind the till in your local guitar shop for varying amounts of time, all the while reacting with the air, because they are not sealed. Whereas you could literally completely immerse a pack of D'Addarios into water for months/years, and assuming the seal holds, you would still have factory-fresh strings. I actually recently found a pack under my bed that must have been there for two years at least. Put them on, they felt brand new. I had a pack of Ernie Balls in my gig bag once for like 6-7 months, and when I put them on, they felt rough as f\/ck, and proceeded to break within a week.

So yeah, I'm going to say it's because of the vacuum-sealed pouch that D'Addarios come in, and not really anything to do with the actual strings themselves. Ernie Balls and other such brands I find to be really inconsistent. Sometimes they will be really fresh and lovely, other times they will feel half-used. With D'Addarios, I can count on consistency.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Aug 25, 2008,
I play Ernie Ball Reg. Slinky's(.010s) on both my LP's and my Strat. Played GHS Boomers for awhile, but my store would be out fairly often, and I found the Slinky's were just a better string.

Not too bright, nice slick feel, and they last forever. I have had some pretty crusty Slinky's sound awesome, and I can't remember the last time I broke a string.

I have found with the Fender and Gibson strings, they are kinda suited to the overall tonality of their guitars. They can bring out more of what you love, or overdo it a bit since everybodies taste is different.
I like Fender strings or Ernie Balls. I have tried other strings, but those are the best for me.

Elixirs are just weird anyways. They feel just sooo different.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I really like the hendrix signature ones on my les paul, but thats just me.
I like GHS boomers, mostly heavy bottoms or 11's. They sound like slinkies but last longer.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've used Ernie Balls and just never found them to my liking, on acoustics or electrics. I prefer D'Addario all around. I usually have a pair of plain old 10's on my Strat copy and 12's on my ES-137, tuned to D standard.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
i use dr extra life black beauties on lp but they're exspensive
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by Martin Scott

Dont those have a wound g string?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Dont those have a wound g string?

No, they don't.

Anyway, I think Gibson use their own brand for Gibson models, and D'addario 9s for their Epiphone models.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
No, they don't.

Anyway, I think Gibson use their own brand for Gibson models, and D'addario 9s for their Epiphone models.

.009's on a 24.75 inch scale? nah, they use .010's. IMO, 11's or heavy tops are the best for that scale.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Phill-Rock
No, they don't.

they do make strings with wound g strings though correct?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I've tried both D'Addarios and Ernie Balls and I favor Ernie Ball the most, especially the Super Slinky's but dont take my word for it, those are just what I'm comfortable with
Quote by oneblackened
.009's on a 24.75 inch scale? nah, they use .010's. IMO, 11's or heavy tops are the best for that scale.

Pretty sure one of my Les Pauls (special) came with 9s, and the more expensive ones (my custom) came with 10s.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
they do make strings with wound g strings though correct?

Yeah, they do.

But not the standard XL 10s.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I've tried D'addario, Ernie Ball and Gibson strings on my Les Paul. I think D'addario sounds and feels the best, but they don't last that long.