Poll: What's your favorite pickup position?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's your favorite pickup position?
Neck
8 24%
Middle
4 12%
Bridge
22 65%
Voters: 34.
Do you prefer neck, middle, or bridge? Feel free to elaborate why.

I've recently switched from bridge to middle (Ibanez RG) most of the time. Too much feedback using the bridge, and the mid sounds a bit thicker and heavier at high volumes.
On my LP I usually play in the bridge position because on my ESP Alexi I only have a bridge pickup so I kinda grown used to that sound. I feel the bridge gives it more tone
I use them all depending on what sound I want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Same

If I want a clean tone, I'll use my neck pickup, if I want distortion I'll use my bridge pickup, usually.
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.
Quote by GunsN'tallica
Same

If I want a clean tone, I'll use my neck pickup, if I want distortion I'll use my bridge pickup, usually.

True, me too
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
I don't record (yet) so I just try to find a sort of omni-tone that works well for any part of any song.
Quote by OCDeity
I don't record (yet) so I just try to find a sort of omni-tone that works well for any part of any song.

There isn't one, it's got nothing to do with whether you're recording or not - that's the whole reason you have multiple pickups, a selector switch and volume and tone controls.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
There isn't one, it's got nothing to do with whether you're recording or not - that's the whole reason you have multiple pickups, a selector switch and volume and tone controls.

Oh, believe me, I know there's not one, hence the words "try" and "sort" of. Plus I hate messing with the knobs and selector when I play live.
I like the tone of the neck pup the most cause it has a nice 'warm' sound.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I love the tone of a single coil in a Strat, clean channel but cranked/overdriven its gotta be a hum in the bridge
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by OCDeity
Oh, believe me, I know there's not one, hence the words "try" and "sort" of. Plus I hate messing with the knobs and selector when I play live.

Time to get used to it then, every gigging pro I know is a master at using their guitar's controls. Picking dynamics plays a big part too, as long as you're using a tube amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

They all have their uses, but I can live without a neck or middle pickup if the guitar has a responsive tone and volume control along with a coil split. That said, I do use the neck pickup on my Jackson a fair bit for GnR songs and for thick, bluesy tones. Beck pickups also kill for jazz and soul music.
I use the middle and neck pickups when using clean tones, as the bridge tends to sound to 'sharp.' But with distortion, it's either bridge or middle, mainly bridge because the humbuckers on my Epi Les Paul have this awesome crunch.
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
Neck pickup for cleans. Always. Bridge pickup is too sharp for the cleans I like.

For most distortion tones, I'll use the bridge pickup, but I'll use the neck pickup too if it sounds good. A lot of them get way too muddy with a lot of gain, but some can take it.

Agreed. Bridge for bright, bitey tone, neck for a warm, almost bluesy sound, and (single coil) middle for cleans (unless I'm looking for a really "abnormal" sound).
I like the hollowness of my neck pickup. It sounds ace whenever. But I like the bridge pickup aswell on the Strat cause it's bright and has this quack I like.

I'm not a big fan on using mulitple pickups or the middle one though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well thats the thing, for me anyways I find that a single coil bridge on clean is too bright but the right humbucker in the bridge is nice. I still love the warm tone of a vintage sounding single coil neck pickup in a Strat on clean.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i mainly play off the bridge pup, for the overdrive bite, and clarity. but i use the neck pup for some blues, cleans and some country riffs
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab